Range Work

BriarPatch99

I had a little spare time and decided to "touch" up my old shooting range. It has been a "thirty" year project and a work in progress ... shoveled a little dirt that had washed down over the years ... building up the top area some and covering the fresh dirt with straw hopefully to keep it from washing again. The tires were added a few years back to "retain" the dirt pile ... now to get the other side finished...

I added new strings ... I have found nylon mason string to be better than wire to hold up targets ... it will take a "hit" and still hold unless it is a direct hit ... wire tends to break easier.

Painted up the swing target as the paint had been shot off ... I also painted the angle iron brackets so "maybe" they would not get shot ... along with the electric fence tensioners

Raked all the straw off the shooting area ...it is amazing how easy a .380 ACP brass can hide in pine straw ... .357SIG also...

It is a 100 yards long with stepping stone markers embedded at 7.5 yards, 15, 25 & 50 and a good sturdy bench at the hundred yard end ... measured ... 50 yards out my back door ... the wife and the dog does not like it when I forget to warn them ahead of time ....

Last edited:

bullgator

I like it. I bet you spend a lot of time there.
My back yard range is set up at only 53 yards.

walkinboss01

Pretty cool set up.

BriarPatch99

Thanks fellows ... like anything old it needed some work ... and like most of my "projects" ... it was last time !!

Stroker

Looking good Briar. Got a 100 yard range behind my shop. Got the room to streach it out to about 225/250, if I can ever finish all my other projects. Wife doesn't mind, but our little dogs hide under the bed if they even see me with a firearm in hand

BriarPatch99

I wish I could extent it out to several hundred yards ...

My dog goes and lays down by the toilet ... not sure what she is trying to say!

Dub

That is awesome. Nothing better than a nice range in your backyard. Outstanding.

Really nice to have a bench, too.

I have a coworker who has a similar setup in his backyard. He's able to test out handholds minutes after cranking them out on his press. He had a rough divorce but his young son stayed with him. The two of them are inseparable and spend a heap of time on that range. He's taught that boy how to shoot, handload, hunt and to respect and enjoy firearms in general. Heck, that kid has a collection of his own that makes many grown men envious.

Great way to enjoy your backyard.

BriarPatch99

Huntsman.45 and I grew up shooting ... When we were not farming we were shooting or fishing ...

When my Son got old enough ... he and I spent many hours on that range and old bench(it does have a new top)....

Now my grand boys and I shoot when they come ...

Altogether there has been many memories made out there...

Huntsman.45

Bring your toys and come on ... That old Ruger Blackhawk probably rusted closed by now ... have you shot it since the gator hunt ?

It has been shot, but not lately. I can remember the gator hunt like it was just a few days ago!

I remember the first time we were shooting it and you said let me hold that sucker! And you proceeded to split the web on your right hand when you shot it. :rofl: And that was with store bought ammo, not the reloads that came later! You had to learn to roll with the punch! :shoot: