DWGH88 Farm Projects Thread 2017

Triple C

dwgh...I fly in to St Louis and then drive to Columbia, MO a few times each year on biz. Always enjoy the drive going thru what looks to be prime deer country. I'm always amazed at how few pine trees I see as compared to down here. Hardwoods galore out there. Food plots look fantastic!

Jim Boyd

Very, very good work

I love it!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Very nice habitat!!!!

dwgh...I fly in to St Louis and then drive to Columbia, MO a few times each year on biz. Always enjoy the drive going thru what looks to be prime deer country. I'm always amazed at how few pine trees I see as compared to down here. Hardwoods galore out there. Food plots look fantastic!
you can fly into Columbia now if you connect @ Dallas or Chicago.
I am about 30 miles north of Columbia. NCMO and Northern mo are quite a bit different compared to the immediate Columbia area, Columbia is still semi-Ozark foothills, once you get into my county (Randolph) you start to get more rowcrop, though still plenty of hardwoods for a great mix.
Thanks btw, I put a LOT of time and $$$ into them. fertilizer and seed are not cheap. Not a lot of people around here go to the lengths me and my group of buddies do, esp for corn/beans but you sure can tell what farms fill up with 30+ deer in the late season. Larger recruitment plots (3+ acres) are my #1 tool to get deers attention and keep it through the fall/winter.

Fall Plot Work Day and Creative S Wind Stand Hung

Saturday was a very productive day at the farm. I was pulling into the gate before 5:30 a.m. and on the tractor by 6. I got everything that I sprayed 3 weeks ago next to the bigger of my two corn plots. I had also turned this up with a plow to break up the sod about a week ago. This turned out to be a mistake, as it did allow for easier tilling it made for an extremely bumpy ride that forced me to go in the slowest gear over about 1.3 acres. With my 5' tiller, it made for a long haul. It also isn't as cosmetically smooth as I would like as I am anal about that. I will likely top dress it again after I get 50-50-50 fertilizer spread.

Next, I got a stand up on a nice flat to the north of the east side food plot. This is the spot discussed in my creative S wind stand on N wind farm thread from last week. Its on the north end of the flat that will have my wind blowing out over the deep creek bottom and onto the neighbors pasture, with the idea that my scent will blow over any deer that may slip to the north of me in the deep creek bottom. With barometer rising this should work slick. I also tilled a nice past from the inside corner of the food plot to the base of the tree for quiet and cut down on any scent on my trail to the tree. My chainsaw blade was dull as a butter knife so I will have to come back in to trim that out sometime this week.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 357
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 353
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 353
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 352
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 354
  • t10.jpg
    t10.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 352
  • t9.jpg
    t9.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 353
  • t8.jpg
    t8.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 351
  • t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 353
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 354
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 352
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 353
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 352
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 350
  • t11.jpg
    t11.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 352

deerbuster

I like the idea of tilling to the stand, nice and quiet entry

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good looking place

How about a pic of that Massey Ferguson?

There's a few that I have. Its a 1739E

the next one I get will be 60 hp... but Ill have to have a bigger truck and trailer for that :D

Attachments

• IMG953769.jpg
    IMG953769.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG954410.jpg
    IMG954410.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG954415.jpg
    IMG954415.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 323

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good looking machine. Do you know the weight including loader?

What kind of value is one like that used?

2degrees

Is that fire you are pushing in the hard woods? Around here fire is bad for the hard woods. Besides that it looks good

Is that fire you are pushing in the hard woods? Around here fire is bad for the hard woods. Besides that it looks good

Sure is, this is North MO and is a common management practice. Not sure what kind of hard woods you are referring to but mature trees handle it fine here.
The intention is to kill sprouts, clear leaf litter and encourage growth of grasses and forbes in the timber.

Dirtroad Johnson

Sure is, this is North MO and is a common management practice. Not sure what kind of hard woods you are referring to but mature trees handle it fine here.
The intention is to kill sprouts, clear leaf litter and encourage growth of grasses and forbes in the timber.

I've got a lot of hardwoods on my place & I do the same thing your doing, I just try not to burn to hot (slow back burn). You got it looking good. :cheers:

cjones

Not much you an do about rough plowed ground except turn it in the fall, let it sit through several freeze/thaw cycles through the winter, and work back down in the spring. That process doesn't work very well for food plot work, though. :)

Insert Dozer Here

After a lot of work and time and thought going into the little plot I made next to an older dried up pond on the farm, I have decided to expand on the idea, A LOT.

I was wanting to get the old pond to hold water, well I also thought while I have a dozer there why wouldn't I clear out part of the old field habitat and make a really awesome food plot close to the additional cover I will be creating with the next couple years TSI work. After talking to my dozer guy he said that it wouldn't take more than a day to make it happen and probably get to it this weekend.

I looked over the map and discussed what I wanted with him in detail. All of the trees will be pushed north to south to create a wall of brush pile to conceal my access to and from the plot and to make it more secure from the road etc. In doing this I should be able to slip in and out of the blind without spooking deer. I will also have him build a sort of peninsula into the plot to place a tower stand there. I won't be able to shoot the whole thing with my bow, but should be able to shoot a lot of it.
The pond sits to the west of the plot so I will use is as a blocker to keep the deer upwind.

If you can add any ideas to throw at me before this happens, please run it past me. its kind of hard to put the trees back after its done.

Attachments

• dozer.jpg
    dozer.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 222
Pond Plot Dozed out and planted

Pond Plot is cleared. Got my dozer guy finished up about 5 pm last night. To the best I can tell the plot is about 2.75 acre.
I also had him patch the hole in the pond CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored so that it would hold water, hopefully up to an acre.
After he was finished, I had a couple good buddies help me disc, packed it, seeded Maximum with some clover and then packed it again.
I had him push all of the trees into a windrow parallel to the the road to block visibility to make the deer more secure and also funnel them when headed to the crop fields to the south.
As an after thought I am having dozer guy build me a blind mound 6-8' high at the west edge of the brush pile windrow with and approach/ramp tailing back to the south for easy and un-intrusive access to the future blind. I will have a 2 other strategically placed stands to hunt based on how the deer enter the plot. I'm going to have my buddy fly his drone over it again to get some after pictures as well

Attachments

• IMG958687.jpg
    IMG958687.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG958683.jpg
    IMG958683.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG958681.jpg
    IMG958681.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 149
  • FullSizeR-7.jpg
    FullSizeR-7.jpg