Burn Timing

sportsman94

One of the pieces of property I hunt is 68 acres with around 40 acres being clearcut in 2017. Of the 40 acres, 28-30 have been planted in longleaf pines (640 trees per acre) back in the fall of 2018. The clearcut section is almost like a 90 degree triangle in shape. My plan is to break the clearcut up into three sections. The front section that is unplanted is 5-7 acres. Then I would like to split the remainder somewhere in the middle. I want to separate the unplanted section so I can burn at different times and go more for an old field style management. My question is, with this setup and turkey/deer/quail management in mind, how would you manage your burns? Would you burn each section at different times of the same year to promote forb/grass growth? Would you burn them all in different years, but at the same time of year? Would you break the sections up into smaller chunks (5-10 acres) so that you could create a rubiks cube pattern and do all of the above every year? OR something different? Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think two year old trees are too young to burn over.

sportsman94

I think two year old trees are too young to burn over.

I think so too. I know I have been told there’s a stage where you can burn when they are still in the grass stage, but my forester buddy is going to come take a look and see if we missed that window. Right now I’m looking to burn the unplanted 5-7 acres, and come up with a plan so I can go ahead and get fire breaks cut on the rest of it. I figured it would be easier to get the firebreaks done while the pines are small and then I can maintain/plant with a tractor until it’s time to start burning the actual pines

crackerdave

One of the pieces of property I hunt is 68 acres with around 40 acres being clearcut in 2017. Of the 40 acres, 28-30 have been planted in longleaf pines (640 trees per acre) back in the fall of 2018. The clearcut section is almost like a 90 degree triangle in shape. My plan is to break the clearcut up into three sections. The front section that is unplanted is 5-7 acres. Then I would like to split the remainder somewhere in the middle. I want to separate the unplanted section so I can burn at different times and go more for an old field style management. My question is, with this setup and turkey/deer/quail management in mind, how would you manage your burns? Would you burn each section at different times of the same year to promote forb/grass growth? Would you burn them all in different years, but at the same time of year? Would you break the sections up into smaller chunks (5-10 acres) so that you could create a rubiks cube pattern and do all of the above every year? OR something different? Just looking for ideas. Thanks!
Call your county Georgia Forestry Commission office and ask to meet with a Forester about developing a plan for your property.