Converting DC to AC

SarahFair

I bought an antique fan. Someone told me it was a DC fan and Ill have to convert it to AC.

The wires were frayed and the plugger was not there so I just hooked it up to an old extension cord and plugged it in.
When I turned the fan on it only ran on the 3rd speed but there were sparks with inside the motor box.

I unplugged it, waiting a few minutes and plugged it back in. This time when I turned it on it didnt run then the cord blew in half.

K.

Im going to be ordering a new cord for it.

How do I know if this is a DC and what do I need to convert it?

ryanh487

Ok, it's really not too difficult to do, but you need to know the amperage of the fan. I've converted many DC powered computer fans to AC for use on aquarium lights, but they were very low amperage and a cheap cell phone charger was able to be used.

Any rechargeable battery charger is essentially an AC to DC converter. If you find one with the right amperage, just cut off the end of the cord and wire the fan cord to it. Positive to positive, negative to negative. Keep in mind that this will not pass any sort of home inspection so don't put it on anything that will be permanently mounted to the house. Also, I am not responsible if you mess up and burn the house down. Use proper wire connections (solder or at the very minimum crimp splices) and insulate properly with heat shrink, being sure to cover any bare wire.

A safer, though more involved, alternative might be to scavenge the motor out of a more modern fan and use it inside the antique, creating an AC fan. This probably wouldn't be too difficult but without putting hands on the fan in question I couldn't walk you through it.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Sounds like you may have already killed the motor.

T-N-T

Does it smell burnt in there? If so, could be a bad day for the motor.

SarahFair

No burning smell

MudDucker

Staff member
Careful!

Jake Allen

If the fan carried a 2, or 3 prong cord I would guess it was never direct current. IF there is not a plate with specs, I would assume nothing.
I would replace the motor or leave it alone.

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
who told you it was a DC fan?

I've been messin' with antiques for over 50 years, and DC fans are quite rare.

SarahFair

A forum Im apart of.
Im going to start cleaning it up and open it up tomorrow to see whats going on in there.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
A forum Im apart of.
Im going to start cleaning it up and open it up tomorrow to see whats going on in there.

Be very careful.
DC is more dangerous than AC.
AC lets go of you 60 times a second.

Anvil Head

Check the source. Where did it come from and where was it used.
Some old campers and houseboats had DC fans. There should be a tag or label somewhere.
Just remember - hospitals and graveyards are full of folks that messed with something they didn't quite understand.

I'd recommend taking it to a small appliance repairman for a look see as to whether it's AC or DC and if you burned up the windings or brushes before I went any further.
For what you might get restoring the fan may not be enough to cover time/energy/doctor bills/insurance deductibles/etc.

SarahFair

This is the stamp on the outside.

20160625_143508_zpswgqmgnca.jpg

K80Shooter

It looks to me like the label states 110 volts which is AC, am I missing something?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
From what you have described it appears to be a 3 speed AC motor.
It sounds like 2 of the speeds were shot when you say it would only run on the 3rd speed. It sounds like the motor completely went out when it burned the cord in two.
Before you plug it in again I would suggest (with the fan unplugged) taking a volt/ohm meter set on ohms and checking the resistance between the 2 wires of cord. With the switch set on, and still unplugged, you should read relatively low resistance. 10 ohms or less would be my guess. If you get no reading the motor windings are shot. If you get a good reading, check each wire to the metal housing of the fan. You should get no reading. If you get a low resistance reading, the motor is shorted to ground (the housing).
Please do this, or have someone do it, before trying to run it again.

Jim Baker

Staff member
From what you have described it appears to be a 3 speed AC motor.
It sounds like 2 of the speeds were shot when you say it would only run on the 3rd speed. It sounds like the motor completely went out when it burned the cord in two.
Before you plug it in again I would suggest (with the fan unplugged) taking a volt/ohm meter set on ohms and checking the resistance between the 2 wires of cord. With the switch set on, and still unplugged, you should read relatively low resistance. 10 ohms or less would be my guess. If you get no reading the motor windings are shot. If you get a good reading, check each wire to the metal housing of the fan. You should get no reading. If you get a low resistance reading, the motor is shorted to ground (the housing).
Please do this, or have someone do it, before trying to run it again.

Exactly. Electricity is nothing to be unsure of.