Converting DC to AC

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
From what you have described it appears to be a 3 speed AC motor.
It sounds like 2 of the speeds were shot when you say it would only run on the 3rd speed. It sounds like the motor completely went out when it burned the cord in two.
Before you plug it in again I would suggest (with the fan unplugged) taking a volt/ohm meter set on ohms and checking the resistance between the 2 wires of cord. With the switch set on, and still unplugged, you should read relatively low resistance. 10 ohms or less would be my guess. If you get no reading the motor windings are shot. If you get a good reading, check each wire to the metal housing of the fan. You should get no reading. If you get a low resistance reading, the motor is shorted to ground (the housing).
Please do this, or have someone do it, before trying to run it again.

much too complicated for a 'lay' person to do.

she should take it to an appliance repair shop to be checked out.

then go from there. imho.

SarahFair

I got it opened up and looked at it with my bil.
Its not complicated at all, just very dirty and needs new wiring.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Obviously it is very old and has the look you want for the location you plan to put it. Dont take a chance on messing it up.

I suggest as others have that you take it to a pro. Cartey Electric in Athens could probably help you out. Give them a a call.

http://carteyelectric.com/

Jake Allen

I got it opened up and looked at it with my bil.
Its not complicated at all, just very dirty and needs new wiring.

I would at least make sure it is properly bonded/grounded, including the housing. I would use a 3 prong cord.
You have 2 young men running around the house. I would not even want to think about the risk of electrical shock, or worse, just to power an old, beat up fan.