Flying with a firearm?

dlsgumbo

Have any of you experience flying out of Atlanta carrying a firearm in your checked luggage? I've read the rules, acquired a Hornady locking metal case, etc. but will be on a flight leaving mid-morning and can't be delayed. Any input?
Thanks

95g atl

YES. What I have done:

declare the firearm at inside check in.
Have a LOCKING case.
I put my name and phone number on the case and I also include that info INSIDE the case.
Ammo MUST be separate and they have certain limits on the amount u can have.

Keep copy OR pics of the serial number.

They are going to want to see the gun is UNLOADED and the case LOCKS.

Get there early....!

It has been a few years since I did this....but has been well after 9/11. You may want to CALL the airline to make sure stuff hasn't changed.

Canis latrans

^^ Good info.

Been a few years for me, too. I've done it twice since 9/11/01. It went smooth & easy both times.

Except the last time, about 5 years ago, Atlanta TSA broke into my locked gun case with a screwdriver. They also went into my other bag and stole my very expensive prescription medicine. I should have raised holy heck about both of those incidents, but I figured, "What's the point? It's not like complaining to the government ever does any good".

Uptonongood

I've traveled with firearms, too. Go to your airline's website and the TSA site and follow the instructions exactly. Use locks that can only be opened by YOU. Do not use TSA locks.

Also, when you check your firearm in for ticketing, be sure to check the luggage ticket to insure that the tag is to your destination. There are some anti-gun folks working for the airlines and it isn't beneath them to send your gun case to a different location. That is what happened to a friend who was heading to Africa. His luggage "disappeared" and wasn't found until the end of the trip. It was in New York, tagged wrong.

As for time, I've never had any delays, the folks checking the firearms to make sure they are unloaded and no ammo in the case were friendly and professional.

TCOmega

Ammo can be in the same case as the gun. The ammo needs to be in an ammo holder/factory ammo box. You are allowed 11 lbs total of ammo. You declare the firearm at the counter/kiosk , they check you in, ask you if it is unloaded. You sign a form saying it is unloaded. The agent may not want to see that it is. They show you where the TSA folks are at, and they ask you the same questions. The TSA may not check to see if your firearm unloaded as well. They will have you put the form on top of the firearm when they are done with it.

It took me less than 10 minutes time in 3 different airports this summer. Did not show the guns to anyone, to verify they were unloaded. I imagine this is because they do not want them being handled.

Ajohnson0587

I flew 4 times this summer and to 4 different airports. Only took 5-10 min each time, but still get there 2hrs before flight just in case. The last time i flew I had some Rookie TSA agent try to tell me Assualt weapons (AR15 & Glock 17) weren't allowed on the plane, i told him to get a supervisor because he obviously was new and didn't know anything about his job or Airline policies. He contacted the police and Home land security instead, it turned into a big ordeal. When the police and HLS got there and seen everything was in order they told the TSA supervisor to fire the guy for wasting there blanking time.

I almost missed my flight because of a New Hire that didn't pay attention when being trained. Typical TSA employee that thought they were gods gift to earth because he had a badge and a blue shirt.

Just follow the rules listed by the airline to the T and you will be fine.

Jetjockey

Just make sure you declare the gun. It's easy to do, but you want to make sure the gun goes through TSA. I was almost thrown in a South African jail because the ticket agent didn't u defeat r that I was carrying a gun, even after I told her several times it was a firearm (she didn't realize the small case could be a breakdown gun). Otherwise, in the U.S., it's a piece of cake.

Paddle

TCO mega is spot on. they do require you to have a lock on the pistol case and you checked bag.

You can have ammo in the same case.

TJay

I'm flying with a muzzleloader in a few weeks. I'm going to wipe it down real good but I'm still a little worried about powder residue setting off bells and whistles. ::;

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
One thing unclear above...from your description, you are checking a handgun in your baggage. The case the handgun is in needs a lock. Not a "TSA" lock. Your bag itself should be locked. That lock should be a "TSA" lock.

Make sure you are intimately familiar with the handgun laws in the state you are going to.

Uptonongood

TCO mega is spot on. they do require you to have a lock on the pistol case and you checked bag.

You can have ammo in the same case.

If the flight is domestic that may be true, check your airline website. But, as stated above, international flights are a whole nother ballgame. That ammo had better not be in the same case as the firearm. You want to see the "stuff" hit the fan? Screw up on rifle/gun type, locks, case type, ammo case, ammo type, ammo amount, import paperwork, U.S. Customs forms, and those security people in that country can get a bit testy.

deers2ward

Good thread. I am flying next month on Delta domestic and have never done this before.

Got a pelican case and cut out the middle foam piece for a custom fit for my scoped rifle, 1 box of ammo in factory packaging, and my bolt. Thinking having the bolt removed will help demonstrate (if/when scanned) that it is indeed unloaded. Gonna get a couple of keyed alike master locks at home depot. Hope everything will be smooth sailing.

Good thread. I am flying next month on Delta domestic and have never done this before.

Got a pelican case and cut out the middle foam piece for a custom fit for my scoped rifle, 1 box of ammo in factory packaging, and my bolt. Thinking having the bolt removed will help demonstrate (if/when scanned) that it is indeed unloaded. Gonna get a couple of keyed alike master locks at home depot. Hope everything will be smooth sailing.

I've flown numerous times and have never had ammo located in the locked case with my rifle. I have known some that have done it that way, however. I'd be sure to CALL the specific airlines and ask, plus review TSA regs reference ammo with the firearm. I have always kept it in another checked bag (unlocked). I would recommend, however, putting your binoculars, knife, rangefinder and whatever else you might be bringing of value in the same locked case as your rifle. I've had hunting items stolen from my unlocked bags.

There's no need to remove the bolt or to demonstrate the rifle is indeed, unloaded. I'd actually caution you to not touch the rifle when you open the case to put the red card you will sign stating the firearm is unloaded inside the case. The counter person, male or female may be very nervous about the open case, gun and you (FWIW).

TSA rarely ever asks to see the case opened again, but they do reserve the right to have you open it yet again. Has not happened to me in some 4-5 yrs now though.

R and D

We fly all the time for 3 gun competitions and training, its not really a big deal. Just make sure guns are unloaded and ammo is secure, they even consider loaded mags as secure...ha ha and yes they can be in same case as guns just be sure to put your own lock on it after inspection.