EHD in dekalb ?

BowanaLee

Found my # 2 buck in the creek dead today. Must have died recently from EHD ? No wounds, no swelling, no smell and not even stiff. Hes been gone for about a month and showed back up on the 9th. That pic shows his mouth wide open and gasping for air. Found him about 35 yds in the direction hes traveling in trail cam pic. Dang shame too. Theres a stand above him. If I'd hunted that tree sat afternoon, I'd probably have both my target bucks off that property ? I have his rack but I hate the meat went to waste. facepalm: Natures cruel sometimes.
That also proves you can't always pass and expect to see them next year. :huh:
You can see my climber over his rack on the creek bank. He would've been dead under it in the trail cam pic. I put it there today and climbed up and saw him on the sand bar. :cry:

Attachments

• 012.jpg resized.jpg
    012.jpg resized.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 892
  • 248.jpg resized.jpg
    248.jpg resized.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 888
Last edited:

jaymax

Found my # 2 buck in the creek dead today. Must have died recently from EHD ? No wounds, no swelling, no smell and not even stiff. Hes been gone for about a month and showed back up on the 9th. That pic shows his mouth wide open and gasping for air. Found him about 35 yds in the direction hes traveling in trail cam pic. Dang shame too. Theres a stand above him. If I'd hunted that tree sat afternoon, I'd probably have both my target bucks off that property ? I have his rack but I hate the meat went to waste. facepalm: Natures cruel sometimes.
That also proves you can't always pass and expect to see them next year. :huh:
You can see my climber over his rack on the creek bank. He would've been dead under it in the trail cam pic. I put it there today and climbed up and saw him on the sand bar. :cry:

Dang, hate to see that...hopefully not ehd...sorry for your loss!!

BowanaLee

Not a mark on this deer ? Can't think of anything else it could be. I hunted there today. Noseeums tore me up. If it weren't for DEET, I probably couldn't have hunted ? :huh:

Attachments

• 004.jpg resized.jpg
    004.jpg resized.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 872

FOLES55

That deer doesn't show any signs of EHD to me, but I'm also not a scientist either. Sucks either way it goes. Mother Nature does what's she wants like you said.

However we know this won't slow down the deer McNugget making machine!!

BowanaLee

That deer doesn't show any signs of EHD to me, but I'm also not a scientist either. Sucks either way it goes. Mother Nature does what's she wants like you said.

However we know this won't slow down the deer McNugget making machine!!

What should we see that isn't seen here ?

In general, deer infected with EHD lose their appetite, lose their fear of people, grow weak, show excessive salivation, develop a rapid pulse, have a rapid respiration rate, show signs of a fever which include lying in bodies of water to reduce their body temperature, become unconscious, and may have a blue tongue from last of oxygen.

The deer looks slim, in another pic has mouth open from rapid respiration rate and was found in water to possibly reduce fever.

FOLES55

My 2 cents, that deer just looks to healthy in mind my mind I figured it would show signs of distress like shown in this pic. Call DNR they can send someone out to you and collect the deer for you and test it. But they won't take one that's been sitting a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 727

BowanaLee

goshenmountainman

We have found 6 in the last two weeks in ponds, creeks and hay fields. All these looked exactly like that one, not a mark on them. I have seen it before and they look like what you have shown in pics.

bowhunterdavid

Is that the south river? I hunted my dekalb track this morning didn't see nothing but little bucks. I hope it's not ehd, I had several good bucks on camera this year like you. I think you know about where I hunt.

BowanaLee

Not South River but I do hunt a place on it. This is deeper in the city. The trucks delivering behind a shopping center are driving me crazy. Doesn't seem to bother the deer though ?

BornToHuntAndFish

What a major bummer. Sorry about the bad news. Thanks for posting. Congrats on your other early season tall tined whitetail success.