Tripod Feeders and Protein feed

What are you guy using on your properties, motorized spin feeders or gravity feeders/troughs when you feed your protein. I know it can depend on the shape/size of the brand of protein that is being used, but what are your eperiences, and any problems with certain feeders not being able to dispense the pellet? Just curious, thanks for the info.

catch22

most protein pellets that I know of have to be fed out of a covered trough or a boss buck type feeder. they can't take the moisture

the protein that I've ever heard about cannot be fed on the ground in a spin type feeder

shdw633

We use troughs as well but have taken some of the cheaper spin feeders that are out there and adapted gravity tubes on them in order to feed protein all year without worrying about the protein getting wet in them. Depending on what you spend on the spin feeder you will have somewhere between $100 and $125 per feeder as you can get the gravity tube through Academy Sports for about $35.

GRT24

Anyone doing the pvc gravity feeders either the elbow at the end of it?

Back in the day used them some. We just put a y on the bottom. It seemed to work better and keep the corn from pouring on the ground and molding.

Zola049

Been thinking about giving it a shot if I Decide to put feed down. Either 4 or 6" pvc to be able to get a decent amount of feed in there. Maybe put a 4x4 post in the ground and strap em to it.

Elkbane

You need to think about how much traffic will be required to keep those PVC feeders filled up enough to do any good.

I'm running 3 boss buck and one trough feeder. Each boss buck takes 5 bags of feed to fill up, and during times of heavy use (like right now), they get emptied in a week. My guess is every other day for a PVC tube feeder.

Elkbane

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I put 200 lbs of protein/corn per week in 1 feeder and its empty on Friday when I go to fill it again.

Zola049

Yea that's a lot of feed. I'll mostly be planting so i don't plan on running a huge feed operation. However,I would like to try the whole protein feed deal. If it doesn't work, no love lost and it's easy on the wallet.

old florida gator

only problem with boss buck feeders is that are basically plastic and animals like tree rats and bears like to chew on them and cause leaks. also coons love to climb up and perch on the outlets, even sharp metal plates don't stop them. wish they would make a metal version of the same design.

BuckNasty83

I used to do the pvc a few years ago. It's better than nothing I suppose, especially to get pics. Feed will last depending on your herd capacity and coon capacity. That's why I quit using them. Coons stay in them. I tried collars around it, tin around the tree, etc. Got a boss buck thinking it would keep them out, but it's at the perfect height for them to just reach up and grab on, or they just go up the legs. So now I set dog proof traps ;)

BuckNasty83

only problem with boss buck feeders is that are basically plastic and animals like tree rats and bears like to chew on them and cause leaks. also coons love to climb up and perch on the outlets, even sharp metal plates don't stop them. wish they would make a metal version of the same design.

Wrap it with tin?