Bad genes or injured..?

Jwyattc

The last picture is a cull I killed 2 seasons ago, they have similar characteristics. Bad genes from that deer, injured, or..?

Attachments

• buck3.jpg
    buck3.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 856
  • buck2.jpg
    buck2.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 858
  • buck1.jpg
    buck1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 857

BowanaLee

Hard to say. Does it really matter ?

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I think that it is bad genes involved as I have had a few "freaks" over the past 6 years and they show up year after year looking that way too.

I think that injuries tend to last about one year most of the time as the re-growing process tends to get back to a more normal routine after about one year after initial injury involved. I base that thought on information that I have seen during the past 6 1/2 years or so. I know that it was very disheartening to watch a really nice mature buck with a really nice spread set of antlers during one season and watch it return the following season with really messed-up deformed antlers on one side the next season.

Doolydawg03

He appears to be young 2 yr old id say and could be a freak in the making, he appears healthy and its still early in the growing season so maybe he is one to keep an eye on, but he doesn't have what i would call a huge rack for a young deer so maybe he does have bad genes. Interesting rack to say the least but i wouldn't call him a cull or bad genes until you have consecutive yrs of him with antlers this way.

Last edited:

bulldawgborn

Not sure and no expert here, but I think it is likely from pedicle injury (too much bone on shed antlers, i.e. "dirty sheds"). I also think genetics can play a big part in a deer's predisposition to have dirty sheds.

Do you find alot of sheds with pieces of skull cap still attached?

jeremyledford

Hard to say here. I don't think it's fair to name bad genetics until you have pictures or have killed one that is a good 3.5-5.5 year old deer.

hrstille

Are you positive its not a doe. Ive seen does with horns similar to that.