Chattahoochee boat build

bvmonie

Currently I have a 21' center console deep v starcraft with 150. But I'm looking to build a boat to fish the chattahoochee. Wanting to get recommendations from people who have fished the hooch.

Prop with Jack plate

Or

Custom jet Jon build

bvmonie

Im currently building a 16' jet jon with a 900. But this build is just to test and make sure its a viable option before i build a bigger 1.

Just not sure its worth the time and effort if a jack plate prop would do just as good.

Teh Wicked

All the guides on the Hooch use jet drives, a prop wouldn't last long.

Other float it with a Kayak, that is what I do and I hammer them every time.

pkpip

Anyone have experience taking a prop down the hooch going south from Don Carter? I have a 21' bass boat that I was thinking about dropping in there.

j_seph

From my trips of the hooch I would just have to say 21 foot would be too big IMO. I would want maneuverability of like a 15 to 16 foot boat and lite enough that if I stuck it I could hopefully get it unstuck with myself or one other. I was in T.P.s boat and it was plenty fast enough and maneuverable with 3 folks in it. Bigger isn't always better

j_seph

Would also if I were to get one or good enough to build want UHMW on the bottom. Rock vs Aluminum in time Rock will win

Big7

The Oracle
WHen you say the Hooch, what part? That's the most crucial question of all.

eggzactly ^^^^^

Some places you can walk and not even get over your shoes.

Some, you can hit several feet right quick.

My "river boat" has never seen the hooch.
I have replaced the shear pin (steel) with cut up aluminum welding rods.
They will pull just as good and shear before any damage is done. Even to the prop.

Burned up Alcovy, Oconee, Apalachee, Yellow, Jack's, Cornish and some that are not even named on a map.

You don't need to spend a lot of $$$ to fish a river.

Have a "designed" fail point if you hit something. ;)

Last edited:

Muddy angler

I fish it from Helen all the way down to where the soque river feeds into her and I suggest a kayak but you get a few miles south of the soque and she opens up a bit more

StriperrHunterr

Anyone have experience taking a prop down the hooch going south from Don Carter? I have a 21' bass boat that I was thinking about dropping in there.

From Don Carter? I was there over the weekend in my 178DLV with 90 Suzuki prop engine and did just fine. The lake's back up at full pool and most areas are passable. Some places get shallow quick but your biggest problem is going to be the myriad debris that got floated with the recent rains so I'd take it easy.

j_seph

From Don Carter? I was there over the weekend in my 178DLV with 90 Suzuki prop engine and did just fine. The lake's back up at full pool and most areas are passable. Some places get shallow quick but your biggest problem is going to be the myriad debris that got floated with the recent rains so I'd take it easy.
When I hear hooch I think at least Lula Bridge North

BeefMaster

I'm in the same predicament as the OP. I need a boat for the shallow rivers Etowah, Hooch, Little River in TN....... I've been looking and and am almost sold on the SW 16 from Hog Island boatworks. It's rotomolded like, and made from, the same material as the new fancy coolers so it should be tough. Figure on a 50/35 Tohatsu jet for power.