Lime and Target PH?

GAbuckhunter88

So I recieved my soil sample analysis back today and they gave me two Lime recommendations. One for a PH of 6 and one for 6.5

For Example:
One Plot that is 1/2 acre has a ph of 5.1

The analysis calls for 2.25 tons/acre to bring to a ph of 6 or 3.5 tons/acre to bring to a ph of 6.5

So several questions.
1. Should I shoot for a ph of 6 or 6.5?
2. It appears that approximately 1.25 tons/acre is needed to raise the ph 0.5 Is that the normal?
3. I have attached four results for the four different plots. The ph levels are very similar for some of the plots (two different plots are at 5.1) however they all call for different amounts of lime. The two at 5.1 call for 3.5 tons on one and 2.25 tons on the other. Why the large difference in lime needs?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Hill Top.jpg
    Hill Top.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Key Hole.JPG
    Key Hole.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 144
  • SH.JPG
    SH.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Yellow Jacket.JPG
    Yellow Jacket.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

doomtrpr_z71

6.0 is the goal, 6.5 is ideal to account for variability across the field. The difference is the lime buffer capacity of the soil. Higher buffered soil takes more lime to change the pH.

Forest Grump

Also: you provided wheat/small grains as your crop. If you intend to grow clover or other legumes, lime it to the 6.5 amount; although on the first (4.9) plot, you will need split applications to put that much lime down.

Raising your pH will help a lot with nutrient availability, but you still have a serious P deficit.