Fruit trees vs food plots

Forest Grump

When planting persimmons, do you need to put a screen around them to protect them from browsing or do they leave them alone?

No screen; never seen deer bother the trees at any stage, but they are passing fond of the fruit.

Don’t know about the ones in the mountains, but bears in central GA sure will destroy fruit trees, especially if they have a tree tube on them. They will shred a tree to get that plastic tube to play with. I know of no useful purpose for a bear.

ucfireman

I used to love fig preserves, until I learned how they are pollinated; kinda took the fun out of that little “crunch” that is always in a fig...

I didn't know they were pollinated, Mine just grow out of the stem, no flowers or anything.
So what is the crunch?

Forest Grump

Google fig wasps. Figs are pollinated by a wasp that goes in but never comes back out. The “crunch” is really from the seeds, or so they say...

But if you like figs maybe just enjoy not knowing, like you do with peanut butter...:bounce:

ucfireman

The commercially cultivated fig tree is usually a female parthenocarpic variety of the ancient common fig (Ficus carica) and does not need pollination to produce fruit. On the other hand, those species of fig trees that rely on wasps for pollination will likely contain bits of wasps in the fruit.

I think most of mine are the ones that do not need the wasps, even if not what's wrong with a little protein?
I had actually heard about the fig wasps but was not aware the males did not exit the fruit. I thought the wasps just fertilized the "Flower" like other fruits etc.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
My thoughts are that the more variety and amount of food available 12 months a year the more healthy your wildlife will be.I grow clover/feed protein/feed corn/grow trees,white oaks ,red oaks,live oaks,sawtooth oaks,persimmons,apples,pear,fig,pecans.

ProAngler

OP most on this forum are against baiting so - neither of your suggestions are favorable.

Hoping to keep this thread more related to helpful info folks with first hand experience can share with other hunters rather than another referendum on what constitutes baiting. Plenty of threads out there already on the topic if you want to debate baiting vs food plots. All though I didn’t notice Jim Boyd had to delete his thread when it didn’t go his way, so maybe one less. :rofl::rofl: