Venison Jerky Preference

Bones

I have never tried venison jerky made from ground venison. Do you prefer jerky cut from the meat itself or jerky made from ground venison? Why the preference of one over the other? Is ground jerky easier to chew or make?

Bones

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I have only made ground with the use of a shooter myself and it has always been a hit. As far as chewing, I think that they are about the same myself.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Unless you have a slicer or have it sliced the shooter is the way to go.

swampstalker24

I've got a slicer and have always used sliced meat for my jerky. A buddy of mine uses ground and the jerky gun. I'm starting to prefer the ground route bc its doesn't get stuck in my teeth as bad and makes for an over all better product.

Minner

Ground is much easier to chew in my experience. I've got a friend with "bad" teeth and he can't chew really tough stuff. He doesn't eat regular jerky but he likes the ground. I haven't made any in a long time from sliced but have made a bunch of ground jerky over the years.

PappyHoel

Don't have a slicer but I just cut thin pieces of roast or sometimes back strap. I've used the shooter too and it gets high praise:). With the ground meat you can get the spices or pepper to adhere better. With the strips I let them marinate over night.

Hoss78

What kind of seasoning do y’all use on the ground meat? I’ve always just sliced thin and marinated in whatever is handy with good results. I did try the package stuff once and followed the directions but came out a little too salty and just wasn’t good.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
What kind of seasoning do y’all use on the ground meat? I’ve always just sliced thin and marinated in whatever is handy with good results. I did try the package stuff once and followed the directions but came out a little too salty and just wasn’t good.

I just ruined 6 pounds of ground venison with store bought spicey teriyaki seasoning, can't remember the brand. Like chewing on salt.

HuntinJake_23

Never done the ground, but for slices I fill a gallon ziploc with the meat, and do one bottle of teriyaki sauce(usually Kroger brand) and 1 bottle of liquid smoke. Let marinade for a few days, strain it, then dehydrate!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I like sliced better. I put the meat in the freezer until it starts to firm up, then you can slice it nice & thin. I've made it both ways. The sliced chews a little more.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I love both. I have a meat slicer to cut roast and a jerky cannon for ground.
As far as spices, its hard to beat the Nesco brand of jerky spices. Original and sweet hardwood are my main two that i use. I also like a wet marinade so i use a splash of dales steak sauce along with the powder and add some fresh ground coarse black pepper. Adding honey is good too if you like a sweet heat type.
http://www.nesco.com/products/Jerky-Spices-Jerky-Kits-and-Jerky-Seasonings/

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Try some Hi Mountain jerky seasoning!

hunterofopportunity

I use the high mountain original from bps in my ground jerky its always a big hit at Christmas. When I make sliced I marinate in a gallon bag with Worchester sauce and teriyaki sauce equal parts for 24 hrs then add dry seasoning of choice before putting in oven. I use garlic and black pepper.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like the sliced a lot better myself.