Tesla ELECTRIC Tractor Trailer Truck

Big7

The Oracle
you need to think this through a bit more. For the energy to be used, energy must be stored. Dams store the energy of the gravity flow of water. Nukes use uranium as a storage, with electrons providing the energy. Everything you listed above requires an input of energy to work.

there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine. It can't be. Friction requires a loss of energy. Anything that turns produces friction.

Surely you are joking with this line of reasoning.

Ok..
Rephrase:

Bleeds off a little. No reason why it can't be stored.

If you were making shine, you would need some wood
or propane to get it going. Right?

Could you not use 170 proof to fire the next batch,
therefore, "perpetual"? Sure, there are better ways.
They only been running for eons. Not that they would use "shine"
to fire shine. Pine tops make good methanol
and engine fuel. Not the same as burning "shine" to make shine. Can't drink it but it has a use.

There are up and downs to just about anything. ;)

My point was to store some energy to power the truck we were talking about.
Why not store some? yer' truck does it everytime you crank it.

If everything was down hill we wouldn't need any energy. Right?

GoldDot40

I believe it will be a long long time...after I'm gone and forgotten...before internal combustion engines are completely phased out and replaced with electric. So I ain't gonna sweat the topic.

Big7

The Oracle
I believe it will be a long long time...after I'm gone and forgotten...before internal combustion engines are completely phased out and replaced with electric. So I ain't gonna sweat the topic.

Me neither. :D

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
High school first level physics.

Class is in session.

Homework will be assigned.

the final exam has been issued, and failing grades will be published shortly

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I might could do pretty well running a company, If I got 5 Billion from the taxpayer. And that amount keeps growing at the rate of $7500 per unit they sell.

SkintRider

Walmart USA has pre-ordered five Tesla Semi's and Walmart Canada has pre-ordered ten according to Reuters and CNBC.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Spent some time reading Tesla forums. A replacement battery for one of their cars runs in the $40k range with labor.

I can't imagine what it would run in a semi.

Dr. Strangelove

I used to spend quite a bit of time around boats, cruising sailboats in particular.

There is a lot of talk nowadays of replacing diesel engines with electric drives as auxiliary engines. Solar, wind or small generators today can easily provide enough amps to power the house load with a relatively small battery bank.

You learn to budget power like you do the fresh water tank. If I use this much, then I need to replace it during the day or plan on stopping somewhere where I can get more.

The biggest issue comes with trying to use electric motors as the primary source of power trying to get into a harbor, say, against a wind and current.

The house load needs relatively low-cost batteries that only need to provide relatively low-amperage electricity to items like navigational equipment, internal and external lighting, HVAC systems, water-makers, various pumps and appliances, etc. The types of battery systems used for this are designed for deep discharge, low amperage types of applications.

Trying to get into an inlet in high seas, against the current and wind takes an entirely different and expensive type of battery that is designed to have a very high discharge rate over a short time as opposed to a very low discharge rate over a long time. (Or a very, very large bank of batteries, like on a diesel submarine)

I also used to work for ABF Freight as an operations manager. Battery operated tractors would not work very well for the independent driver, but get the range up to 300 miles or so and remove the driver (the biggest cost) and it would very well for a company like ABF.

NOYDB

BANNED
There is a lot of talk nowadays

Talk is all it is so far.

The biggest issue comes with trying to use electric motors as the primary source of power trying to get into a harbor, say, against a wind and current.

When you need it you need it.

Enclosed in a sub or a ship of the line works, not so sure about exposed to the elements.