Had an idea...opinions please

aj.hiner

I was going to plant row corn at my property maybe a half acre. Then I thought about tilling up this half acre and broadcasting food plot seed (clover, chicory etc) just like a normal food plot then doing my rows of corn. The goal here would be to have standing corn with a good foodplot underneath and would have the best of both worlds. Do yo think this would work? have anyone ever tried this? Any feedback would be appreciated

satchmo

I was going to plant row corn at my property maybe a half acre. Then I thought about tilling up this half acre and broadcasting food plot seed (clover, chicory etc) just like a normal food plot then doing my rows of corn. The goal here would be to have standing corn with a good foodplot underneath and would have the best of both worlds. Do yo think this would work? have anyone ever tried this? Any feedback would be appreciated

I bet you'd get to see every deer in the area at some time or another with that set up.

BlackEagle

Banned
Personally I would plant the under layer (plot mix) and row corn on one half, than just plant food plot mix on the other.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
corn will shade the clover too much for it to produce much, unless you really separate the rows to about 48 to 54 inches.

godogs57

Basically can't do this. If you want to, I'd suggest stripping it up as others have suggested. Your clovers are planted in the fall, while corn is generally planted in March. Different nutrient requirements, with clover being a legume. Yes, corn would likely shade out as well. Don't forget about competition between the plants as well.
Just not a good idea to try and plant both on the same patch of ground.

I am doing something similar using the corn as screening off the bigger part of the fields and leaving it open in the back next to the wood line and planting beans and lab lab . I will leave the corn standing. In the fall I will bush Hogg lanes into the corn while not going though any ends in the bush hogged lanes I will till the lanes plant a mix of wheat oats snd clover once hunting season ends ever so often I will bush Hogg and strip or two to be eating unti it's all down them till back up and start over next summer

Quailbird

To do corn properly, it will need to have nitrogen added and plowed at least once. You won't able to do this with undergrowth and if you don't, it will probably just produce enough corn to keep the coons happy. Corn food plots need to be larger than typical food plots due to various animals that will feed from it.

DeepweR

Pennington makes a mix that works great, I'd doesn't have corn but it has sorghum, it grows up thick like kudzu and the deer love it, they will even bed in it,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 585

across the river

To do corn properly, it will need to have nitrogen added and plowed at least once. You won't able to do this with undergrowth and if you don't, it will probably just produce enough corn to keep the coons happy. Corn food plots need to be larger than typical food plots due to various animals that will feed from it.

I agree. Planting a half acre of corn won't do much, if it even makes it to maturity. Deer will eat the tassels out early in the growing and can start eating on the ears before they reach full development. Then you have birds that will eat on it, coons, squirrels, etc… The chances of 1/2 acre making much of anything is pretty slim in my opinion. Corn is a lot of time and money to grow compared to other crops, and I don't think 1/2 acre would be worth the time or effort. You are also waiting late to plant corn if you don't have a way to water it.

aj.hiner

I agree. Planting a half acre of corn won't do much, if it even makes it to maturity. Deer will eat the tassels out early in the growing and can start eating on the ears before they reach full development. Then you have birds that will eat on it, coons, squirrels, etc… The chances of 1/2 acre making much of anything is pretty slim in my opinion. Corn is a lot of time and money to grow compared to other crops, and I don't think 1/2 acre would be worth the time or effort. You are also waiting late to plant corn if you don't have a way to water it.

I have a hose I can run to it so that is not a problem. I also thought about feeding bagged corn till a few weeks before season so they wont eat the corn off the stalk as much. I just figured that weeds are gonna grow in between the corn rows anyway so why not make it clover instead? Also there aren't a lot of deer . I have pretty much 7-10 deer several does a few lil bucks and a good buck that's about it so I think a half acre would go a good ways

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

aj.hiner

thanks for the input fellas I might try putting the rows 10ft apart and clover in between and see how that works out that sounds like a pretty good idea. Then for 2 months or so just throw 50lb bags of corn out to deter them from eating it off the stalk till im ready to hunt