New Buck, How old?

tonyrittenhouse

Had a new buck show up. He does not have very long tines but has a good body for North Georgia. How old do you think he is?

Attachments

• MVII0036.jpg
    MVII0036.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,171
  • MVII0054.jpg
    MVII0054.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,139
  • MVII0967.jpg
    MVII0967.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,110
Last edited:

Pilgrim

He doesn't look new at all - I bet he lost his spots at least a couple years ago :cool:

GTHunter007

Not a 2 yr old. I'd lay my guess on 4. Would not be surprised if you could tell me he was older.

RABJR

No saggy brisket, no defined hump over front shoulders, not away in back, no pot belly. Stomach is tight. Neck merges well above brisket. Legs do not look small compared to body ratio. How are you guys seeing 4 or older?

GTHunter007

I see a thick neck, broad defined shoulders and I see a fat belly and not a lean waist. It holds level with his chest. That alone for me puts him 4+ so I move to cross off the top age character traits.

He has no shoulder hump (old deer characteristic)
No sway in the back (old buck characteristic)
No pot belly (old buck characteristic)

These two sets of characteristics put me in the 4 or 5 yr old category.

I don't say old until they are 6.5 and above. 3 IMO is still young. 4,5 are prime body wise and 6 is peaked antler wise but the body is showing signs of old age.

Looks like he has a floppy ear as well. I have a doe on cam this year that looks like that.

Go flip through my thread where I asked people to guess age. On page 2 I have 6 years of pictures of that buck.
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=847876