Small Game Hunting Soon To Be Extinct

Dustin

Thank you for realizing my original point on what it would cost if it comes down to having to get a large lease.
So what did I say about deer hunters? Or did I say yuppies because there is a difference and I know which one you fall under.
So again if a group gets something changed in their favor that makes me have to spend several thousand on a large lease to be able to hunt vs a few hundred to hunt after deer season makes me the bad guy by complaining.
It's funny that you say someone with any sense because it's obvious you don't have any at all.

I understood the cost from the beginning, I still don't think you understand the luxury of having 1,000 to 2 people.

here's what you said about deer hunters,

Most deer hunters will never understand why a dog can't be cut loose around deer hunters.

Jake buddy would you put $5000.00 dog in the woods with trigger happy deer hunters?

So, the main thing is you're complaining about spending more than a few hundred dollars to hunt? get over it and spend the money or accept that you're gonna have to share the land and not kill as many squirrels a day and "kill them out" as you say.

Feist man

I understood the cost from the beginning, I still don't think you understand the luxury of having 1,000 to 2 people.

here's what you said about deer hunters,

So, the main thing is you're complaining about spending more than a few hundred dollars to hunt? get over it and spend the money or accept that you're gonna have to share the land and not kill as many squirrels a day and "kill them out" as you say.

Umm yea I understand 2 to a 1,000 acre lease is a great luxury. That's why I don't have it. I do spend a few hundred on a couple different leases that I can't hunt till after deer season and don't blame them for that rule.
The reason most wouldn't understand the reasons why you can't mix the two is they have never been around hunting with dogs.
I'm sure most will agree with me that there are some trigger happy deer hunters and you never can be sure where one might be.
Since you say I need to suck it up and spend the extra money would it be alright if they wanted hunting license go up to several thousand a year or even just to a few hundred a year? It would basically be the same scenario.

Feist man

Feistman. Find us some land in mid Ga. Maybe with some water for ducks. Good turkey, big timber and cut stuff. You can squirrel hunt. I'll coon hunt it. Can get a rabbit hunter.We can get a duck hunter or 5 and several turkey hunters and we might can afford it. No deer huntin.

If we could find a way to fill it with internet hunters we would have it made.

p&y finally

I said it's not biologically driven, not that it wasn't biologically appropriate. Considering public input on management decisions is one of the core principles of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation:

THE SEVEN TENETS

1. Wildlife Is Held In The Public Trust: The public trust doctrine means that wildlife belongs to everyone. Through shared ownership and responsibility, opportunity to enjoy wildlife is provided to all.

2. Commerce In Wildlife Is Regulated: Early laws banning commercial hunting and the sale of meat and hides ensured the sustainability of wildlife through the regulation of harvest and the sale of wildlife parts such as teeth, claws and antlers.

3. Hunting And Angling Laws Are Created Through Public Process: Hunting seasons, harvest limits and penalties imposed for violations are established through laws and regulations. Everyone has the opportunity to shape the laws and regulations applied in wildlife conservation.

4. Hunting And Angling Opportunity For All: The opportunity to participate in hunting, angling and wildlife conservation is guaranteed for all in good standing, not by social status or privilege, financial capacity or land ownership. This concept ensures a broad base support for wildlife law enforcement, habitat conservation and research.

5. Hunters And Anglers Fund Conservation: Hunting and fishing license sales and excise taxes on hunting and fishing equipment pay for management of all wildlife, including wildlife species that are not hunted.

6. Wildlife Is An International Resource: Proper stewardship of wildlife and habitats is both a source of national pride and an opportunity to cooperate with other nations with whom we share natural resources. Cooperative management of migrating waterfowl, songbirds and marine life is one example of successful international collaboration.

Science Is The Basis For Wildlife Policy: The limited use of wildlife as a renewable natural resource is based on sound science. Wildlife agency professionals adapt management strategies based on population and habitat monitoring to achieve the sustainability of wildlife populations and their habitats.
I've been reading along and keeping quiet up until now but this really burns me up.
So whats the point in the state paying a so called "biologist" salary?
That makes alot of sense, we have biologist that are paid to study the population of wildlife and make sensible decisions as to hunting seasons/limits but when the one time we need gooberment to step up and make an educated decision they cant do it. Typical

mtr3333

Banned
In sum and instead of what I just deleted, . . . . GOOD GRIEF !

facepalm:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I am in 2 different clubs, one with 5 and another with 16 members. I bet of those 20 of us, maybe 6 visit this forum. Only 3 or 4 regularly. The rest just see the regs, get the dates, see the limits and go hunt. They really just don't know to or care to read that much on what and why the seasons and limits are how they are. ESPECIALLY if they have to make an effort to go out and hunt it up...heck they don't even know what the questions are they would be looking for answers to.

But hand them something to see with their own eyes, in their hands, with your scientific explanation behind it...they would read it. :cool: Best money this state could spend IMO.

$10 sez the people you described above would throw it in the trash without reading it.

:pop:

mtr3333

Banned
$10 sez the people you described above would throw it in the trash without reading it.

:pop:

$10 sez that the people who aren't satisfied with their property would never be anyway and would spend more money on it to get guess what? And the answer is.... bigger deer horns.

GTHunter007

$10 sez that the people who aren't satisfied with their property would never be anyway and would spend more money on it to get guess what? And the answer is.... bigger deer horns.

I am sure some folks wouldn't, but a lot more will than are educated on anything other than sitting in a stand and shooting. Most people have 1 club, the club sets the rules and that is where they hunt. The state regs mean jack to them. Ever been to a meeting of members in a large club?? LOL...hunter education about management and biological based decisions is at a minimum. People argue about spot placements, how many does they can kill, the antler restrictions and if their family is included as extra tags or on the membership tags. Old timers stuck in their ways, dictatorships who have to abide by rules, and guys who just show up to hang out and hunt and maybe see a few deer and shoot one. These guys do not care about nor think about WHY/HOW to "manage" their deer herds. I guarantee this describes the majority of hunters in this state.

mtr3333

Banned
I am sure some folks wouldn't, but a lot more will than are educated on anything other than sitting in a stand and shooting. Most people have 1 club, the club sets the rules and that is where they hunt. The state regs mean jack to them. Ever been to a meeting of members in a large club?? LOL...hunter education about management and biological based decisions is at a minimum. People argue about spot placements, how many does they can kill, the antler restrictions and if their family is included as extra tags or on the membership tags. Old timers stuck in their ways, dictatorships who have to abide by rules, and guys who just show up to hang out and hunt and maybe see a few deer and shoot one. These guys do not care about nor think about WHY/HOW to "manage" their deer herds. I guarantee this describes the majority of hunters in this state.

If anyone is in a club where there is a meeting held that dictates how many deer should be taken, then the membership is too large for deer hunting.

GTHunter007

If anyone is in a club where there is a meeting held that dictates how many deer should be taken, then the membership is too large for deer hunting.

Really? This describes 90% of the clubs across the state.

We are kind of in a large scale version of it with state regs. :confused:

mtr3333

Banned
Really? This describes 90% of the clubs across the state.

We are kind of in a large scale version of it with state regs. :confused:
Nope. There are plenty of deer statewide, the problem is too many oversold leases statewide. The deer are there in good numbers-the right numbers for the land. There are just too many hunters on a particular parcel within that good area of the state.

GTHunter007

Yes. Oversold clubs exist where newbies are recruited to finance keeping the lease. Somewhere there is a club like that. :rolleyes:
Again, this is most clubs in the state. If someone gets out, they get replaced. Even perfectly run clubs with more deer than they can shoot replace members. It is how it works.

Nope. There are plenty of deer statewide, the problem is too many oversold leases statewide. The deer are there in good numbers-the right numbers for the land. There are just too many hunters on a particular parcel within that good area of the state.

So you are saying every hunter in the state should be able to take their 10 doe limit. That the numbers are there statewide to allow it?

But at the same time a lease with "x" number of guys who feel they have enough deer for "x" number of hunter to kill a buck or two plus a doe or 2...(whatever gets them to the @2 deer per hunter killed each year) has too many members if they have to set a limit? Sorry, what you are describing is probably what less than 1% of the hunters in this COUNTRY have.

Curtis-UGA

I've been reading along and keeping quiet up until now but this really burns me up.
That makes alot of sense, we have biologist that are paid to study the population of wildlife and make sensible decisions as to hunting seasons/limits but when the one time we need gooberment to step up and make an educated decision they cant do it. Typical

Exactly my thoughts.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

What it means is that policies are responsive to public interests, but only when biologically appropriate. You need a biologist to determine if it's biologically appropriate. If there were negative biological ramifications of this proposal, we wouldn't be discussing it because it wouldn't be on the table.

Curtis-UGA

What it means is that policies are responsive to public interests, but only when biologically appropriate. You need a biologist to determine if it's biologically appropriate. If there were negative biological ramifications of this proposal, we wouldn't be discussing it because it wouldn't be on the table.

So explain to me why they cut back on days you can shoot doe deer but we are extending the season? Will the extended days be buck only?

Was the 12 deer limit biologically appropriate? Is it still favored by the public?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
So explain to me why they cut back on days you can shoot doe deer but we are extending the season? Will the extended days be buck only?

Was the 12 deer limit biologically appropriate? Is it still favored by the public?

Extending the season will not amount to any measurable increase in harvest and buck-only days will be used to appropriately manage antlerless harvest.

The limit was appropriate at the time it was established, but since it's a state law the process for changing it is different than regulations. It could change if hunters started contacting their elected officials.

The North American Model, developed by our sportsmen forefathers, is what all conservationists strive to maintain. However, there are examples of deviations from the model throughout the country. The power to ensure that policies adhere to the model lies with the public as does the power to deviate from it.

Curtis-UGA

Extending the season will not amount to any measurable increase in harvest and buck-only days will be used to appropriately manage antlerless harvest.

The limit was appropriate at the time it was established, but since it's a state law the process for changing it is different than regulations. It could change if hunters started contacting their elected officials.

The North American Model, developed by our sportsmen forefathers, is what all conservationists strive to maintain. However, there are examples of deviations from the model throughout the country. The power to ensure that policies adhere to the model lies with the public as does the power to deviate from it.

Thank you sir.