Just curious Gun Vaults

Jester896

Senior Clown
didn't mean to shut it down

OK... truth told this is an unlined Browning safe. The house burnt to the ground and was pretty hot. You can see that it gets hotter inside the higher up you go. I think all of the ammo was destroyed and tore things up a little inside too.

I have seen very similar traits in insulated safes that were in a fire. An insulated 30 minute safe really only seems to slow this process down a little bit....lets just say the pistol case probably wouldn't have melted but all of the other stuff you see would most likely still be there... smoke, heat, and water damaged.

if you keep that paperwork on the top shelf...you may not be able to read it anymore. If you keep ammo in there it may get hot enough to set it off.

computer media starts to get damaged at 125°

GunnSmokeer

I like the idea of a walk-in vault for guns, and as a storm shelter, but concrete is damp. Water is used to make it. It allows moisture to penetrate in, too.

Humidity control would be a big issue, if I ever went this route.

Jester896

Senior Clown
there is humidity control in the one above safebuilder made. you should use it all of them really. It looks like he used an inswing door on that one too. They are also available with outswing.

on the ProSteel panel type doors mentioned above, you can get an option to mount the keypad under a picture next to the door

safebuilder

there is humidity control in the one above safebuilder made. you should use it all of them really. It looks like he used an inswing door on that one too. They are also available with outswing.

on the ProSteel panel type doors mentioned above, you can get an option to mount the keypad under a picture next to the door

Humidity is easily controlled. Poured concrete gives the best security and fire protection. We build in swing and out swing doors. But prefer in swing. If you are in the vault and house collapse in storm you can still get out.

rosewood

Humidity is easily controlled. Poured concrete gives the best security and fire protection. We build in swing and out swing doors. But prefer in swing. If you are in the vault and house collapse in storm you can still get out.

That is a good point, hadn't thought of that. But I would imagine an out swing door would be stronger against the storm?

Jester896

Senior Clown

I agree!

in-swinging doors may make it a little easier for 2 smaller people to close and secure the door under duress if you are also using it as a safe room I think too. There are many plusses to a vault.