New to kayaking

ChristopherA.King

Just a quick question. We are new to kayaking and I would like to do some fishing on the Etowah in the cartersville area. My question is if we put in will we need 2 cars or will we be able to paddle back up stream? I have been watching the water when we drive over and it doesn't seem very swift but I have never been on that river before. Thanks!!

SASS249

Depends. When they are releasing water from the dam the river rises dramatically and there is no way to paddle upstream easily. You need to be sure to check the release schedule before yo put in.

During times when they are not releasing the river has more current than you think. I suggest if you want to give it a try that you put in and paddle upstream first. You will quickly determine how effective this is for you.

jcarleto

I know that part of the river pretty well. There are only a few places where you can reasonably paddle upstream without killing yourself (or wishing someone else would do the deed to put you out of your misery). Most of those places aren't real convenient to public ramps.

Use two cars. Use Uber. Euharlee Outfitters has a shuttle during the summer on weekends...use that. I have tried many times to back-paddle upstream from public ramps and am finished with that unprofitable enterprise.

ChristopherA.King

Thanks guys I guess I won't be paddling up stream. If any of you guys are going and wouldn't mind some company give me a shout sometimes.

jcarleto

If you do want to try a test run, put in at Euharlee ramp and try to go upstream to the join of Euharlee Creek. That join typically holds fish. What you will find is that deep, wide sections of the river are easy, even when there is a lot of current. However, narrow or shallow sections become challenging to get through even when the current is considered minimal. Most fish weirs are typically, "get out and pull," in any conditions.

I generally post when I know in advance I am making a run.

GAbuckhunter88

Thanks guys I guess I won't be paddling up stream. If any of you guys are going and wouldn't mind some company give me a shout sometimes.

Let me know when you want to go and if I am available I would be happy to go and we can drop a truck off at the take out spot.

Scott

bird35

When the dam is not open and the river is not running fast Euharlee Ramp is a good place to paddle upstream and fish .

Always paddle up and float down so you know you can get back to your car.

Fishing was good on that area most of the year and very good April - June.

I paddled 15 minutes at a time and fish for a while then paddle again. Doing this you will fish more than paddle by a good bit.

Chattahooche is good as well but need to check the gauges and fish for trout not bass.

Coosa is good around Rome.