Interesting Find

MIG

IMG_5890-1.JPG

I've always been fond of this particular point. I just now ran across it again while going through the collection and thought I would share. As a 10 year old kid, I started collecting points in a field near my house. I found the two separate pieces several years apart. Why I ever tried matching them up those many years ago, I have no idea. The tip is weathered more so than the base with both fracture faces exhibiting patination - obviously, it was damaged in the distant past. A couple of small chips missing but the flake scars match nicely. Finding matching pieces from the same artifact separated from each other thousands of years ago. What's the odds of that happening?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That`s a really unique couple of finds. How far apart were they?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Amazing to find both of those separately some years apart.

MIG

That`s a really unique couple of finds. How far apart were they?

It's been better than 35 years ago but best I can remember they came from the same general area of the field within 50 or so yards of each other. Almost everything I ever found there was in a narrow strip along a "ridge" that bordered what I now believe was, many moons ago, a Carolina Bay. In the late 70s/early '80s, the bay was nothing more than a low, circular area of hardwoods that would occasionally hold water. It wasn't until I happened to fly over it as an adult that I realized what it was.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Very nice find, and almost incalculable luck finding both halves. That is awesome, you should have bought a lottery ticket, too! :)

Check this out, similar story:
http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/cast-page/2006januarydebertvailpoint.htm

There was a really big Simpson that was found in a North Florida river that had been broken in Paleo times and the two halves found several years apart. Unbelievable luck that both sections were found. Seems like they were a couple of miles apart.

T-N-T

That is so cool. I have never found a point and look down all the time. But location is not my friend. As I only know of ONE point being found in my neighborhood. (we will round the neighborhood to 350 acres....)

Thanks for sharing.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That is so cool. I have never found a point and look down all the time. But location is not my friend. As I only know of ONE point being found in my neighborhood. (we will round the neighborhood to 350 acres....)

Thanks for sharing.

At least half of my collection I found on our home place which is not that far north of Alma. All of South Georgia is a treasure trove for points.