My favorite point

TJay

First off I don't have a big fine collection of artifacts like some of the beautiful collections I see on this forum but I pick 'em up when I see 'em. Anyway this little point is a favorite of mine, it is so thin! From what I've heard quartz is hard to work with I can't fathom how an individual from so many years ago was able to create something this elegant. I've got another that I'm using as a comparison. It is thicker and rougher by a good bit.
About the rock, any ideas? Some sort of tool? Preform maybe? I will say it fits in the hand perfectly if it were to be used as a scraper. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2700.JPG
    IMG_2700.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2694.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 47

Redbow

I have one just about like yours but mine is quartz. Found it one day a few years ago walking an old country path. Mine also fits well in the hand and sharp as a razor on one side. The scars from flaking the quartz are still very visible. I still think the one I found was used as a scraper.

Big7

The Oracle
I'm no expert on the subject but I like the two in the pic with the penny. They look sharp and detailed like they could actually be used.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Two nice Mississippian arrowheads, and an early stage preform. As Nic siad, the knapper probably tossed it because of that big step fracture.