What Say Ye?

Killer Kyle

Hey fellers. I found this today while looking for points in a place where points should be. It was on a gravel bar in a creek where most of the stones look like regular creek stones. Smooth and rounded. This one stuck out but I can't decide if it is a point or if it should go in the "maybe" pile.

It seems to have an ellipse like base like most points and preforms do. I don't see a lot of evidence suggesting it may have been worked, but then again lots of my quartz points are rough and crude and lack clear evidence of being worked other than a general triangular shape.
This one is sharp as a tack and seems like material may have been removed from both sides.

What do y'all think? Is this just a rock
, or is there enough evidence to suggest it is an artifact? Thanks for y'all's opinions and input!
20240318_220841.jpg20240318_221103.jpg20240318_221213.jpg20240318_221041.jpg

Killer Kyle

Half the time I look at it and thing "yeah, I think it is a point", then five minutes I'll look at it and think it isn't. I don't know, just wanted to know what y'all thought about it.
Thanks for the reply kmckinnie!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I say yes ! I’ve found several quartz points that I’d say are what u describe.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I vote artifact. That shape would be very difficult to produce by natural action in that material. Natural action would be more likely to produce more rounded shapes or larger fractures.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yessir, that`s a point-blade. Nice find.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Have one just like it. It was found in Central Florida where quartz does not occur so they were doing some trading back then.

Cool find. Now you will be looking close at all the ugly "rocks"

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Morrow Mountain variant. Find ones like that up here sometimes.

Tentwing

100% …… a point …… I am certainly not an expert , but what are the odds that the specific shape pictured above “ naturally occurring “ …………:unsure:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How much effort do we put into making beautiful, artistic-looking screwdrivers and can openers?