Seen this today !

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Stopped at the West Point Corp office today to get me and my dad a hunting permit . They have been in this case forever and I always thought they looked to be fakes . Anyway this older gentleman that was working today seen me checking them out and said rumor was them and a lot more were found on the Alabama side of the lake when they were clearing out for one of the campgrounds . What y’all say ? I should have gotten better pictures . I’ve lived here for 20 years and found quite a few points but nothing made of this material , mostly quartz . The little bowl did look real though . IMG_3608.jpegIMG_3609.jpegIMG_3610.jpeg

Liberty

Lots of early settlers around these parts also. The house that I grew up in was close to a Civil War battlefield and was part of a farm that worked into the 60’s/plantation. We found everything from oil lamps to a well pulley to wound up generally being much later that the civil war.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those look to be made from NC silicified slate, AKA green rhyolite, and all the hangnails and wierd-for-area point types indicate that they aren't that old to me. I doubt seriously that those are ancient points.

White Horse

I’ve seen those myself. I grew up in Troup County, and found a point or two myself in the area. I knew one of the famous old collectors over there and went hunting points with him a time or two. I was with another friend when he found a Clovis point near the Park Mound, now submerged under the West Point Reservoir.

I say all that to say that those are most certainly replicas.

antharper

Staff member
I’ve seen those myself. I grew up in Troup County, and found a point or two myself in the area. I knew one of the famous old collectors over there and went hunting points with him a time or two. I was with another friend when he found a Clovis point near the Park Mound, now submerged under the West Point Reservoir.

I say all that to say that those are most certainly replicas.
Thanks for the reply ! I was pretty certain these were replicas . I’ve found quite a few around the lake while hunting . Of course I didn’t pick them up :oops: and that has to be the dumbest law ever . What area of the lake is the park mound ? I’m not from here , I’ve been here 20 years and it was already a lake long before I moved here

White Horse

Park Mound is in the triangle shaped intersection where Yellowjacket Creek empties into the river. I visited there several times in 1975 just before the lake was filled. It’s a big pyramid shaped mound. 20 years ago you could still see the mound shape with a sonar transceiver set up to show the shape of the bottom.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Stopped at the West Point Corp office today to get me and my dad a hunting permit . They have been in this case forever and I always thought they looked to be fakes . Anyway this older gentleman that was working today seen me checking them out and said rumor was them and a lot more were found on the Alabama side of the lake when they were clearing out for one of the campgrounds . What y’all say ? I should have gotten better pictures . I’ve lived here for 20 years and found quite a few points but nothing made of this material , mostly quartz . The little bowl did look real though . View attachment 1250100View attachment 1250101View attachment 1250102

Those points are made of Coastal Plains chert, and they look like replicas. They don`t have any particular "shape" to them.

antharper

Staff member
Park Mound is in the triangle shaped intersection where Yellowjacket Creek empties into the river. I visited there several times in 1975 just before the lake was filled. It’s a big pyramid shaped mound. 20 years ago you could still see the mound shape with a sonar transceiver set up to show the shape of the bottom.
I bet you still can . My dad has some pretty good electronics. Next time I’m in that area I’ll see what I can see . I live between beech and yellow jacket creeks . Thanks