Artifact or geofact?

Killer Kyle

I went out today for a walkabout and picked up a few things that caught my eye. These came from a field where I found a quartz point last year.
The top piece is a flint flake. The other three have me scratching my head.
The second from top looks like a broke, I think?
The bottom two are maybe preforms? Sometimes I just toss the "maybes", but these had me wondering. On the bottom left I see a stem maybe? On the bottom right I see symmetry maybe? Curious about y'all's thoughts on these.

Attachments

• 20230319_215008~2.jpg
    20230319_215008~2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 40

Swamprat

Swamprat
Bottom left looks like a broke preform or a very used up point

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That quartzite is tough stuff. I am not a knapper but I would imagine that it is among the most difficult to work but the points are very strong. Once you have held a few pieces of that that have been worked into points you can tell from the feel and without looking whether a piece has been worked or not.

From the appearances you are probably right in all your opinions.

Killer Kyle

Thanks for the opinions guys. JustUs4All, I mostly find quartz points up here in north GA. I only have a couple that I'd consider pretty fine. Most of them are so rough and thick it makes me wonder how they had any penetrating power to begin with. I'd say it is pretty rare to find a really nice serrated point. Sometimes quartz points are so rough it is hard to tell if it has been worked and flaked at all. It always confounds me how primitive people were trying to make a living with such dull tools. That'd be a hard living I'd say.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The second one from top is for sure the base of a point . And the bottom 2 are like a lot I find in my area, I just call them arrowheads :) nice finds

Latest posts