Murphy's law

sprewett

If you look in the dictionary next to Murphy's law there should be a picture of me! However, I wouldn't have it any other way. Most of the stuff that happens to me is a result of poor decisions and if everything goes smoothly I question if I did something wrong. It's kind of like putting something together and using all the pieces. There are always leftover pieces.
Tonight was no different. I had decided after church I would go to corp land since I purchased the permit and haven't stepped foot on it yet. Plus, a bucket list task for me is to kill a deer and carry it back to the ramp in my boat. I had looked at the different spots and decided on Vineyard MTN, which is next to Allatoona Dam. My trip started very quickly turning adventurous when I go to the railroad crossing near my house and there was a train. Normal train crossings this wouldn't be a problem but this particular crossing the trains stop for an hour at least sometimes more. The issue is I have boat in tow on a small side street with very little room to turn around. I start to back into a small drive way to get turned with no avail just not enough room. Forgetting my age I get out pick up one side of the boat and trailer then begin manhandling it pulling it to one side. I should have just unhooked and moved it because immediately I felt something in my back that still doesn't feel right. Excitement overshadowed the pain and off I went to red top MTN boat ramp.I didn't realize that the state park boat ramp isn't like COE ramps and have a kiosk so I had to put an I owe you in the envelope with my name. (Just so you know I will pay it next time I go) Drop the boat in and off I go to the cove I had picked out and found an AMAZING spot with a old rub line, a beat down trail, and a perfect wind. As I prepared to climb the tree I realized I had left my harness in the truck. I shimmied up the tree anyway got to a perfect height and immediately noticed a hiker coming. I sat still just to see if he saw me and he didn't and then another group came by. I knew there was a trail but it is supposedly real hard so I didn't figure many folks would hike it. Then, my step dad pointed out to me the fine print at the bottom of the corp map spot open from Dec 1-Dec 31. He said I was poaching! I double checked the map he was right I made the quickest decent and got out there. I got back to the boat and fired it up. Off I go, I was leery of the main channel because on the way across a cabin cruiser came by and sent water over my side board and all I could think was down goes Frazier.
I get to a new spot and I double checked the map to make sure it is open and in bounds. Without scouting I just picked a hardwood drain that feeds into the lake. Mainly because I have seen deer in those while fishing. Sure enough jumped one going in. I never saw any deer during the hunt but a bunch of squirrels and chipmunks. At the end of legal shooting light I packed up and headed out. I tripped and almost fell into the lake thankfully I caught myself. Get to the boat put on my navigation lights and was excited because this is the first time using my led headlights. Turn them on only to see they are mounted wrong and basically are worthless. Ease across the lake back to ramp and realize I have locked myself out of my truck. After some fancy work with a 2x2 on loan from another boater I made access. The trip home was uneventful.
To most it would be extremely aggravating but to me it is fun and I am just super thankful that I am able to get out on these adventures. This year a dead deer will take a ride in my boat though!

Attachments

• IMG_20231008_154117186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231008_154117186_HDR.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 90

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sounds like a fun day to me brother! Great adventure and git home safe…..one of these timea we might even add that dead deer to the mix :cheers:

sprewett

Last night I have came up with a genius inexpensive way to fix my back and whatever is poking out of it and save myself some $ to boot!
Gonna need three men, 24" section of 4" PVC, a park bench, and a ratchet strap.
Instructions:
I will lay face down on park bench one man pull my arms the other pull my legs while compression is relieved the other out the PVC on my lower back and begin to ratchet it down till the bulge goes back flush.
I think this will work I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it.

Hillbilly stalker

Always always keep a spare key either in your wallet or hidden on your truck (exterior). Attach your harness to your stand, it should either be there or on your person. Don’t D.IY your back, speaking from experience……you don’t wanna bad one. Used Inversion tables are very cheap and worth their weight in gold. Keep your chin up, hunting out of a boat is one of the most productive ways, deer are used to noise near the bank. You get to walk uphill, but drag downhill. There are always deer on the river. It takes a trip or 2 to knock the rust off and get your gear lined up sometimes. Hang in there and kill a big un. (y)

RedFoxx

sounds like you should get a gopro or some way to video all this...we would all pay money to watch!!! lol.. .just kidding..i have said that about myself..if i videod everything that happend to me in the woods it would be worth millions on funniest videos
tg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
And here I thought I was the living embodiment of Murphy's Law. I tip my hat sir. I'm a distant second place. But don't you worry. Imma work harder at it and soon you'll slip back to #2 and feel better about it. :bounce: :rockon: