Warne Rings on Two Piece Bases

B. White

I feel like I'm missing something simple. Picked up a Ruger 44 carbine and it had a pack of Sears bases with it. Probably 1975 or so version, so not too worried about quality. I put some Warne low rings on it with a Primary Arms 1-4 I already had. It appeared the scope was slightly to the right, and not center line with the barrel. I think the recoil keys are too thick when looking from behind. There is too much space between the contact points on the rings and base.

The key looks like it can be removed, but the allen wrench hole is tiny and nothing I have will fit it. Does anyone know what size it takes? I'd like to take them out and see how it fits. I've used these mounts several times with not issues, but they were mounted on pic rails. I have them, so I'd prefer to use them instead of buying more.

1708563508879.jpeg

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Those are Weaver bases, and I have found that sometimes stuff meant for a Pic rail won't fit just right.

That old rifle needs some Weaver rings to go with those bases.

Keep it traditional... ;)

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Also, check the stock over very well around the wrist at the receiver. They were known to crack. Don't use any "hot stuff" ammo.

Ruger specified normal factory 240 grainers for that rifle.

I cracked one using 180 gr Deer Stoppers from the old Georgia Arms. They were pretty stiff. I had a woodworker fix the stock as best he could, and traded it off ...

I acquired another carbine with a solid stock, and have shot a bunch of white box Winchester 240's. They kill deer just fine, and no damage to the rifle.

There are NO Ruger stocks left for the little .44. Boyds used to make one, but they are now discontinued.

I have read that Boyd's will make a one-off, but it's VERY expensive.

In case you can't tell, I LOVE those rifles!

B. White

Those are Weaver bases, and I have found that sometimes stuff meant for a Pic rail won't fit just right.

That old rifle needs some Weaver rings to go with those bases.

Keep it traditional... ;)

These should are pretty basic rings. The pic below is what they are supposed to be for the model number. What physically is in the package is the same, except they came with a silver key that extends more than shown and a third center screw that holds the key in. I'll check Napa today and see if they sell a wrench small enough to get it out and remove the 1/16th or so off the bottom so it will fit flush in the groove. Wanted to keep steel rings on, but if I can't find the wrench I guess I'll try another brand.

1708603450329.png

B. White

Also, check the stock over very well around the wrist at the receiver. They were known to crack. Don't use any "hot stuff" ammo.

Ruger specified normal factory 240 grainers for that rifle.

I cracked one using 180 gr Deer Stoppers from the old Georgia Arms. They were pretty stiff. I had a woodworker fix the stock as best he could, and traded it off ...

I acquired another carbine with a solid stock, and have shot a bunch of white box Winchester 240's. They kill deer just fine, and no damage to the rifle.

There are NO Ruger stocks left for the little .44. Boyds used to make one, but they are now discontinued.

I have read that Boyd's will make a one-off, but it's VERY expensive.

In case you can't tell, I LOVE those rifles!

Stock is good, but I checked ahead and can still get it from Macon Gunstocks, if needed. Yes, very expensive and some fitting required.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
These should are pretty basic rings. The pic below is what they are supposed to be for the model number. What physically is in the package is the same, except they came with a silver key that extends more than shown and a third center screw that holds the key in. I'll check Napa today and see if they sell a wrench small enough to get it out and remove the 1/16th or so off the bottom so it will fit flush in the groove. Wanted to keep steel rings on, but if I can't find the wrench I guess I'll try another brand.

View attachment 1289840

I can look at that picture, and tell you that those rings will never be right on a Weaver base.

Steel Weaver rings can be had for less than $20...

Glad you have a good stock, to start with...

I also did a little diggin' and it appears that a place called MPI Customs makes a drop in fiberglass stock.

Probably high-dollar, but it would be very cool....

Good luck with your project, and let's see some pics!

killerv

Burris sig zee rings are great for weaver bases. They have the notch in the bottom ring itself that helps it draw up tight when installed, instead of just relying on the side plate and screw.

GSUQUAD

Circle peg goes into a circle hole. You’re trying to fit a circle peg to a square hole, figuratively. Need to get weaver rings or a pic base.

B. White

I don't have a lot to choose from, but no steel rings, or any with two screws in any of the close places I checked. Ended up ordering the Weaver Grand Slam set from Amazon.

It is hard to get a closeup pic of the two, since I'm directly over the Warne and at an angle with the Weaver, but you can see that the silver key on the Warne doesn't appear to be mounted squarely, besides being approx. 1/16 too thick. It is still unknown if I could have adjusted it, since I couldn't find the tiny allen wrench required (and I've got a lot). This old scope has what appears to be a true 1X on low (I can see the last 6" of this short barrel looking through it), so before I took the Warne off I checked where the crosshairs lined up on a close object. Put the Weavers on and it was about identical. It was solid with the Warne and I'm disappointed that the Weaver low mount is taller, but the slight gap would have driven me crazy looking at it. The extra height did let me eyeball underneath and get it on paper with the four test rounds I loaded up. I'll take it to the range and fine tune.

1708813460450.jpeg

1708814154262.jpeg