Help With Bases And Rings Please

Big7

The Oracle
Picking up the Leupold for the 300 today and trying to decide on some bases and rings.

I have a few sets of "regular" Leupold bases and rings but the "scope" guy at Franklin's recommended these.

They are by far not the most expensive they sell and they are always straight with me so I'm pretty sure if he was just trying to "sell" me something, he would have went a little deeper.

These are supposedly "removable", whatever that means but no matter how good a system is, I would never dismount and mount a scope and shoot it like in a James Bond movie.
(There is a company that makes EDM tool posts that repeat to microns, but they don't make scopes. They are called 3R Tooling Systems but that's another story :bounce: )

Anyhoooo... What do y'all think about these bases? They are less than $100.00, not that it's the deciding factor. This will be set up for long range in a hunting rifle and the scope has a MOA reticle. To me, MOA is easier to count in you head than MIL DOT but maybe that just me.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230821_122257_HDR.jpg
    20230821_122257_HDR.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230821_122300.jpg
    20230821_122300.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 13

weagle

Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of redfield style rings / bases with the front dovetail and windage adjustable rear. Especially with a scope that has a 2 piece tube. I like the weaver style front and rear. For a long range rifle I would lap the rings for proper fit to remove stress on the tube.

Big7

The Oracle
Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of redfield style rings / bases with the front dovetail and windage adjustable rear. Especially with a scope that has a 2 piece tube. I like the weaver style front and rear. For a long range rifle I would lap the rings for proper fit to remove stress on the tube.
I ain't to wild about them either.
What would you consider using?

And.. I'm in pretty good with DNZ and just talked to a guy in engineering over there about making a custom.

They make one for the Remington 700. The bolt pattern is the same as my JP Sauer 100 but they are a little further apart. In other words, any 2 piece that will fit the Remington 700 will fit the JP Sauer 100 action but a 1 piece won't.

I told the guy his software would jive with mine and if he would send me the computer model they use to machine their 700 base, I could change it to fit the 100 and send it back for them to machine one for me and they would have a free model to use in the future.

Still need a plan B if that don't pan out.
Thanks.

Last edited:

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I ain't to wild about them either.
What would you consider using?

And.. I'm in pretty good with DNZ and just talked to a guy in engineering over there about making a custom.

They make one for the Remington 700. The bolt pattern is the same as my JP Sauer 100 but they are a little further apart. In other words, any 2 piece that will fit the Remington 700 will fit the JP Sauer 100 action but a 1 piece won't.

I told the guy his software would jive with mine and if he would send me the computer model they use to machine their 700 base, I could change it to fit the 100 a d send it back for them to machine one for me and they would have a free model to use in the future.

Still need a plan B if that don't pan out.
Thanks.
Now I have to ask... What's the middle spacing for the bolt pattern on your Sauer 100? Bummer that it's so close yet so far away.

Big7

The Oracle
Now I have to ask... What's the middle spacing for the bolt pattern on your Sauer 100? Bummer that it's so close yet so far away.
It's in controlled storage. I got to go get it and put the calipers to it.

Might try to find a blank Pic Rail and put the holes in it. Just looking for the best opinions right now. Got a good little bit of change in this one. No need to hurry now. Right is way more important than right now.

It will be with me until I croak. :bounce:

RamblinWreck88

It's in controlled storage. I got to go get it and put the calipers to it.

Might try to find a blank Pic Rail and put the holes in it. Just looking for the best opinions right now. Got a good little bit of change in this one. No need to hurry now. Right is way more important than right now.

It will be with me until I croak. :bounce:
The reason I'm asking--And I ain't questioning your knowledge of your own rifle--Is that I was under the impression that the Sauer 100 and Sauer 101 used the same action, and published spacing for the Sauer 101 is .605″, 4.48″, .862″. Which is the same as Weatherby Vanguard, Howa, Remington 700's, etc. And a few of the DNZ's even have the 1st & 3rd spacings as 0.605 and 0.862, with a different middle spacing.

So I am wondering if there's another option that would work or would at least be very easily modified by someone with your skills (I don't now how the curvature of the top of the action varies between any of these).

TheWildLife

I'm not a fan of windage adjustable bases. Had that set on my A-bolt for a couple of years until one of the side screws came loose on me while hunting elk out west. Took them off as soon as I got back home. Then went to the front and rear dove tail bases. That's a pretty solid set up, just make sure you use a ring alignment tool when installing. The last 6-7 years I've been using the DNZ 2 pc mounts. Absolutely love them and solid as a rock.

Big7

The Oracle
The reason I'm asking--And I ain't questioning your knowledge of your own rifle--Is that I was under the impression that the Sauer 100 and Sauer 101 used the same action, and published spacing for the Sauer 101 is .605″, 4.48″, .862″. Which is the same as Weatherby Vanguard, Howa, Remington 700's, etc. And a few of the DNZ's even have the 1st & 3rd spacings as 0.605 and 0.862, with a different middle spacing.

So I am wondering if there's another option that would work or would at least be very easily modified by someone with your skills (I don't now how the curvature of the top of the action varies between any of these).
Good questions.

This is my first Sauer and it ain't never been out of the box but twice.

I was told the individual front and back spacings were the same as Remington 700 but the overall was different and a 700 one piece wouldn't work.

I have a set of Leupold Weaver style bases and they fit front and back.

About the Weatherby and Howa, you telling me is the first time I'm hearing about that. I'll DEFINITELY look into it. THANK YOU for your reply. I need all the help I can get.

JR924

I have a Sauer 100XT. I use these Vortex Pro Series rings on it. Good price point and they got good ratings. I like the torque settings imprinted on the rings.

Big7

The Oracle
I have a Sauer 100XT. I use these Vortex Pro Series rings on it. Good price point and they got good ratings. I like the torque settings imprinted on the rings.

If you have a 40MM big end, would you mind posting the catalog number? Thanks.

EDIT: Found them on Vortex website.
$119.00. Thanks.

bullgator

I’ve used Leupold standard base/rings in the past and they are a solid system. One hint is to put the rear on first and center it as best you can. Get a proper diameter dowel rod to turn the front ring and use calipers to measure the distance from the front ring to the rear ring on both sides to check for square.

RamblinWreck88

Good questions.

This is my first Sauer and it ain't never been out of the box but twice.

I was told the individual front and back spacings were the same as Remington 700 but the overall was different and a 700 one piece wouldn't work.

I have a set of Leupold Weaver style bases and they fit front and back.

About the Weatherby and Howa, you telling me is the first time I'm hearing about that. I'll DEFINITELY look into it. THANK YOU for your reply. I need all the help I can get.
Here's where I got the spacing for the Sauer 100:

Remington, Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard, and Weatherby Mark IV (9-lug) all have the 0.60", 4.48", 0.86" spacings per the DNZ website. The 1-inch/low/long action/black mount for the Remington 700 is SKU# 10700, but the same configuration for the Howa, Vanguard, and Mark IV all use slightly different SKU's (20300, 20300.., 20300., respectively) but maybe this period is a typo?

I also found that the Sauer 100's and Remington 700's use the same Talley 2-piece SKU's, so maybe the mounting surface would be identical between the two?

Do with all of this what you will, and let us know what you find out if you decide to pursue it.

Big7

The Oracle
Thanks

killerv

Nothing wrong with what you have. I and others have used them for many years without issue.

I am a fan of talleys though, I've used them on my last few rifle setups.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have Redfield type bases and rings from both Redfield and Leupold on a few rifles and they have been on them for 30+ years without ever loosening.
I have never had a mount of any type loosen up after throughly cleaning them with rubbing alcohol and a dab of blue lock-tite where needed.