New Boyd stock on Savage 25-06

menhadenman

I didn't realize I was being critical. I thought a saw what was perceived to be a possible issue and mentioned a possible solution

I was responding to @bighonkinjeep - just saying if I need to get pillars going now id rather hear it from y’all before wasting range time (y)

I didnt want to get carried away with criticism of the OPs pretty new stock but pillars are almost mandatory on the Boyds laminate material

Reactions: Dub

bighonkinjeep

I didn't realize I was being critical. I thought a saw what was perceived to be a possible issue and mentioned a possible solution
Not you man. You said what needed to be said. My initial response was pretty long and before posting I reworded it significantly and I didnt want to come off as overly critical on someone elses new stock.
Maybe to the point of sidestepping the known weak point and the best solution in favor of a warning about watching for over torque.

bighonkinjeep

I think the reason that most folks skip the rear is because of lack of material in that area. Yep splitting is a possibility on either. Also with many Savage 110 actions the rear pillar needs to be notched/stepped to clear the trigger and boltstop/sear combo. Look at your old synthetic. Pretty sure your rear.pillar will be notched.
Since they started changing some things around with the bottom bolt release and a couple different centerfeed mag releases around the time yours was made Im not positive if its notched or not.

menhadenman

Not you man. You said what needed to be said. My initial response was pretty long and before posting I reworded it significantly and I didnt want to come off as overly critical on someone elses new stock.
Maybe to the point of sidestepping the known weak point and the best solution in favor of a warning about watching for over torque.
I’d rather get good tips from you and @Jester896 than going down the wrong path! No offense taken at all.

Here’s a shot of the factory stock that served me well for 16 years.
9E031706-0B4B-4E03-885F-C871AD7ADD01.jpegECFF6C28-B21D-4474-8111-6902997A473F.jpeg

Reactions: rmp

bighonkinjeep

Pretty sure thats just sloppy injection molding around the notched/stepped rear pillar. As with mass produced injection molded pieces some were a sloppier than others. At that time period they also started using a centerfeed detachable box bottom metal arrangement that was sandwiched in by the rear actiion screw. Strangely enough and despite the looks most were capable of bug holes with the right load..

menhadenman

Yea it looks like it was built that way. This rifle shoots like you said too. I bought two boxes of ammo when it was new. One shot a clover leaf and I’m not sure I touched the scope again for several seasons. I started paying a lot more attention to reloading last 3-4 years so going to play around with it more. The 25-06 drops animals pretty effectively tho.

tcward

Went ahead and picked up a Boyd’s Prairie Hunter stock to replace my Tupperware stock on a 111 in 25-06.

Bought the rifle in 2007 for antelope and it was my first new (off the shelf) rifle I owned. Until then I was perfectly happy with my inherited 35 Rem and 7 RM. But I moved west for work and thought that 25-06 would be a good addition.

I probably shot a dozen antelope and half dozen mule deer with it using factory Hornady 117 SSTs and a VX1 4-12x40. Now I have several other rifles that I’m pretty fond of but this one shoots great and has a special place in my mind from the hunts.

I decided to try out a Boyd’s - seems like there are mixed reviews so I suppose we’ll see. Also wanted to swap out the last of my Leupolds after a catastrophic failure of a VXIII on a hunt.

The swap was really straightforward and the rifle looks pretty sweet. As much as I hate to say it, the DNZ mount I have won’t fit the new Trijicon Huron I was intending on using. I put the Leupold back on there for now but will need to pick up a rail/ring system with more flexibility (the DNZ won’t let me slide the Huron back about the 2 mm I needed to!).

Pictures attached - will update after some range time following hunting season.

View attachment 1272154View attachment 1272157View attachment 1272155View attachment 1272156
Pretty stock! What is the weight of it vs factory?

bighonkinjeep

Yes it does,
I have 2 Savages in 25-06. One is an old pre accutrigger flatback sporter 22" in the factory synthetic thats been bedded and the other a 110FP Law Enforcement model with the heavy 24". Not many stock options for it and the factory unit was a little flimsy for the weight of the rig so its in a Choate Varminter with a bedding block. Both are blind mag models. Have a great load worked up with 110 Accubonds for the sporter that will put 5 in a spot that can be completely covered with a dime and kills deer like lightning. It shoots well from the FP too but I just loaded some the other night I'm going to try in the FP heavy barrel. Normally prefer RL22 but I worked up to a max load of Retumbo with some giddy up that Nosler claims at 3271fps. We'll see how she likes em.

Jester896

Senior Clown
it kinda looked like a metal sleeve that broke off. if that was plastic it didn't have much contact back there. almost anything might help it shoot better. I'm not real familiar with Savage rifles.

menhadenman

Pretty stock! What is the weight of it vs factory?

I didn’t do a before and after but figured it to be about a 14 oz increase over the factory stock. I have some pretty light options for backcountry stuff so not as concerned with weight on this one. Plus I’m a bigger feller so it’s no sweat toting a heavier rifle with a deer on my back.

menhadenman

New scope mount arrived today… really liked my DNZ (I think I have 4) but realized it presents problems on a long action with little wiggle room for the scope.

Decided to go in another direction and picked up a rail and Warne rings. We’ll see how it sets up on the rifle but it looks good as it sits.

Maybe I’ll get the range after all @bighonkinjeep @Jester896… but youth basketball all day tomorrow then Georgia Bama game. Gonna hunt with youngest Sunday, what’s a fella to do?

757F60C1-0358-4072-8E69-9D698F824B93.jpegA3ED6C55-1210-4838-A8C1-1EE1CD8A1EC3.jpegD6F29B33-F1FC-4C12-A18E-6573058BCD58.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
remind me again what time the game comes on...I think you could sneak to the range that morning:cool:

menhadenman

Alright Jester, I took on the longest scope swap of all times...

I picked up one of the Trijicon 3-9x Hurons to replace my Leupold 4-12x ($300 at Europtics btw). Here's the old scope/mount.

IMG_6589.jpg

Love the DNZ mount but on the long action it leaves no wiggle room to move the optic in either direction. Come to find out the daggone Huron magnification ring prevented me from mounting it.

IMG_6590.jpg

Of course I had to debate what kinda mounting setup I wanted to go for. Decided on the pic rail and warne rings to provide flexibility but also a solid mount. They showed up yesterday.

Things were going great this morning until the rearmost fillister head screw (hex head) stripped like a cheap dancer. Wound up drilling it out for an extractor before the head popped off. Got a smaller bit and extractor and fortunately got the rest out without causing any damage to the DNZ mount or the rifle. Close call because I'm a pro at screwing those kinda things up.

Got the pic rail mounted and the Warne steel rings... scope position is as perfect as it gets. Now I'm not for certain that brass ejection won't be goofy but I feel like it should be OK. I swapped out that ejector pin that's known to be poor on Savages and she tossed brass like a champ now.

IMG_6605.jpg

I think you are right that a range session should be in order. Total weight of the rifle (less a sling and ammo) is 9 lbs 4 oz. I bet this thing will kick like a kitten. Hopefully she shoots, you and bigjeep got that pillar thing worrying me :p. I prefer to do things the hard way so I can maybe learn something so it's all good.

IMG_6606.jpg

bighonkinjeep

Dont worry man.
She should shoot just fine. Lots of Boyds in service out there without pillars.
Pillars in this situation primarily allow more torque without the action screws pulling into the wood.
Easy on the torque and its gonna be just fine.