New Boyd stock on Savage 25-06

menhadenman

Went ahead and picked up a Boyd’s Prairie Hunter stock to replace my Tupperware stock on a 111 in 25-06.

Bought the rifle in 2007 for antelope and it was my first new (off the shelf) rifle I owned. Until then I was perfectly happy with my inherited 35 Rem and 7 RM. But I moved west for work and thought that 25-06 would be a good addition.

I probably shot a dozen antelope and half dozen mule deer with it using factory Hornady 117 SSTs and a VX1 4-12x40. Now I have several other rifles that I’m pretty fond of but this one shoots great and has a special place in my mind from the hunts.

I decided to try out a Boyd’s - seems like there are mixed reviews so I suppose we’ll see. Also wanted to swap out the last of my Leupolds after a catastrophic failure of a VXIII on a hunt.

The swap was really straightforward and the rifle looks pretty sweet. As much as I hate to say it, the DNZ mount I have won’t fit the new Trijicon Huron I was intending on using. I put the Leupold back on there for now but will need to pick up a rail/ring system with more flexibility (the DNZ won’t let me slide the Huron back about the 2 mm I needed to!).

Pictures attached - will update after some range time following hunting season.

D0DEA35F-1D32-405A-BF8D-914A321AE857.jpeg68599230-4934-4152-83DD-5DE03BE706C2.jpeg636CEA45-1142-48EA-9199-5B090EF60450.jpegE45BE00A-A654-4FAE-88F2-BFB67FB00A23.jpeg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Went ahead and picked up a Boyd’s Prairie Hunter stock to replace my Tupperware stock on a 111 in 25-06.

Bought the rifle in 2007 for antelope and it was my first new (off the shelf) rifle I owned. Until then I was perfectly happy with my inherited 35 Rem and 7 RM. But I moved west for work and thought that 25-06 would be a good addition.

I probably shot a dozen antelope and half dozen mule deer with it using factory Hornady 117 SSTs and a VX1 4-12x40. Now I have several other rifles that I’m pretty fond of but this one shoots great and has a special place in my mind from the hunts.

I decided to try out a Boyd’s - seems like there are mixed reviews so I suppose we’ll see. Also wanted to swap out the last of my Leupolds after a catastrophic failure of a VXIII on a hunt.

The swap was really straightforward and the rifle looks pretty sweet. As much as I hate to say it, the DNZ mount I have won’t fit the new Trijicon Huron I was intending on using. I put the Leupold back on there for now but will need to pick up a rail/ring system with more flexibility (the DNZ won’t let me slide the Huron back about the 2 mm I needed to!).

View attachment 1272154View attachment 1272157View attachment 1272155View attachment 1272156

Looks great ! I bet it will shoot great too.

Did you consider the Thumbhole stock? I have a model 111 in 30-06 I’m thinking of putting a Boyd’s Thumbhole on.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

View attachment 1272154View attachment 1272157View attachment 1272155View attachment 1272156
I like it! Was the stock a drop-in, or did you have to mess with it any??

menhadenman

Looks great ! I bet it will shoot great too.

Did you consider the Thumbhole stock? I have a model 111 in 30-06 I’m thinking of putting a Boyd’s Thumbhole on.
I recently picked up a CVA smoke pole with a thumb hole and don’t particularly care for it. Still like the gun but probably won’t go that way again.

Yes I hope she shoots as good. I realized after the fact that the standard stocks do not come with pillars so not sure how consistent the torque will be on the action?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I recently picked up a CVA smoke pole with a thumb hole and don’t particularly care for it. Still like the gun but probably won’t go that way again.

Yes I hope she shoots as good. I realized after the fact that the standard stocks do not come with pillars so not sure how consistent the torque will be on the action?

I also have a CVA muzzleloader with the Thumbhole stock that I love. That’s what’s got me thinking of changing on the 111.

menhadenman

I also have a CVA muzzleloader with the Thumbhole stock that I love. That’s what’s got me thinking of changing on the 111.
Mine shoots great and feels good once I’m settled in, just think the looks and handling are what bother me. Sounds picky!

Reactions: Dub

bighonkinjeep

The Boyds laminates look really nice.
Just be careful and go light torqueing the action screws. The Boyds laminates from the last 10 years or so are pretty soft material and the escutcheons can easily pull into the action screw holes.
It doesnt take much on a Boyds and the screws can pull in deep enough that the action screws can bind against the bolt head on a Savage and cause problems.
Other than that they look great.

menhadenman

The Boyds laminates look really nice.
Just be careful and go light torqueing the action screws. The Boyds laminates from the last 10 years or so are pretty soft material and the escutcheons can easily pull into the action screw holes.
It doesnt take much on a Boyds and the screws can pull in deep enough that the action screws can bind against the bolt head on a Savage and cause problems.
Other than that they look great.
Thanks for the tip - I went maybe 40 in-lbs on action screws and that even felt like I was pushing it. Hopefully not.

menhadenman

Had another guy recommend this package. Figured I’d shoot it first to see where I’m at first. Whatdya think @Jester896 ?

Probably won’t piddle with this until after hunting season. Got a couple good mountain bucks I’d like to get one of my boys on if I can!

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Looks good. Definitely an upgrade from the tupperware stock. Glad it fit without any hassle. (y)

Jester896

Senior Clown
Whatdya think @Jester896 ?
It should be good kit...but the one that I linked you to may be easier for you to use. They are already profiled to the action and are length adjustable so that you can get them the right length easier without cutting them. I am thinking they might be easier for you to use. They don't come with Devcon or Acriglas to use to bed them with though.

I will be the first to admit that I don't do this work on a regular basis but maybe @rmp or @Clemson might have a better suggestion.

bighonkinjeep

I never tried the adjustable pillars. Always just learned ol school and made them from threaded lamp rod and used JB weld to bed them, the action, and the recoil lug. Been a couple years since I bedded.one but dont guess Ive ever spent over about $10 bedding and adding pillars to a rifle. Kinda funny but many "gunsmithing" supplies are just refined or most often rebranded versions of materials available at any good hardware store and then sold at a.premium.
I didnt want to get carried away with criticism of the OPs pretty new stock but pillars are almost mandatory on the Boyds laminate material
Good luck and have fun with it.

rmp

I’m not familiar with Savage at all. The pillars I’ve done are for model 700’s and clones. The ones I buy were from Brownells that could be cut with a saw or parted in a lathe. Pillars
Most stocks come with them these days. No reason the adjustable kit shouldn’t work well.

My experience with Boyd’s is limited. Probably 3-4 total with two being a few months back. Both required work on the inlet but seemed solid. I debated on pillars just for peace of mind. One an ADL and the other an M5. Both owners weren’t too concerned and both rifles shoot exceptionally well after bedding the action. FWIW.

The most recent build. 5 shots by the owner and he’ll tell you he’s mediocre at best. Will definitely keep track if things change.
IMG_3864.jpeg

Darkhorse

I may be wrong but I've never considered pillars to be neccesary if the action was glass bedded already. I understand soft wood will be different and would probably pillar that.
I tighten all my action screws by hand and feel, never have gauged one.
So far I've gotten good results.

menhadenman

I never tried the adjustable pillars. Always just learned ol school and made them from threaded lamp rod and used JB weld to bed them, the action, and the recoil lug. Been a couple years since I bedded.one but dont guess Ive ever spent over about $10 bedding and adding pillars to a rifle. Kinda funny but many "gunsmithing" supplies are just refined or most often rebranded versions of materials available at any good hardware store and then sold at a.premium.
I didnt want to get carried away with criticism of the OPs pretty new stock but pillars are almost mandatory on the Boyds laminate material
I appreciate any advice for those that have been down that path… criticism saves time and money if you can put feelings aside.

menhadenman

Looks like it’s as easy as putting the stock on a drill press, dropping a pillar in the front (some say skip the back so it doesn’t split), then bedding the action? Is that the right way to tackle this?