.25-06 Rem Ammo?

fatback

I was just able to pick up a .25-06. I have never owned a rifle in the caliber. Was wondering what those of you that hunt with this cartridge prefer and have had the best results with in terms of ammo? This will be for S. GA whitetails and pigs. I typically prefer a heavy for caliber projectile. I am looking at 120 grain core locks but am open to suggestions from those that have experience with this cartridge. Thanks

BriarPatch99

I been shooting and reloading .25/06 since 1969 ...

My current favorite bullet is the 80 grain TTSX Barnes at 3680 fps ... Death in a little package... Yeah I am the odd ball... but don't dismiss what you ain't tried...

I have loaded and shot just about every .25 caliber made except the Hammer stuff... I have shot all the diiferent ones plus others not listed ...Sierra Game King100, 117/120 HP grain BT, Hornady 117, 120 gr. HP(don't make any more), Nosler all their versions ...

If I were not shooting the TTSX ...I would be back shooting the Nosler 110 gr. Accubond

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
That cartridge is so under utilized. Very flat and hard hitting. It should be way more popular than it is.

I'm surprised somebody hasn't put a slower twist barrel and a long, low drag boolit on one.

Big7

The Oracle

Dub

That cartridge is so under utilized. Very flat and hard hitting. It should be way more popular than it is.

I'm surprised somebody hasn't put a slower twist barrel and a long, low drag boolit on one.

Faster twist for longer high BC bullets.

Doubt you'll get much long & low drag with a cast lead boolit.

menhadenman

Oh they have. A company named blackjack was making a 131 some years ago. You’d need a custom barrel but there are guys doing it.

hitchin

best red jello maker I've seen in a while
Shot the sierra 120 hpbt for thirty plus years, they discontinued them; have not shot a deer with mine for several years but i have worked up a load with the hornady 117 s we shall see how i like it.

bighonkinjeep

Im a fan of fast over heavy in the 25-06. Found bullets closer to the middle of the weight range to shoot better for me. (100s and 110s) Been handloading for it for decades. I'd reccomend the the 110gr Nosler Accubonds. Fantastic bullet and best I've tried in both accuracy and on game performance.

Meriwether Mike

I purchased a Ruger #1 in 25-06 several years ago. I zeroed in with the Hornady 117 grain SSTs and have been pleased with it. Do not hunt it much as I want to keep it in great condition.

BriarPatch99

The cartridge is old started out in 1912... standardized in 1969(when I got on board).... It lacks the short fat short action case and a Manbun. But the .25/06 was doing deer killing for a long long time!

If you want a Modern .25/06 .... get a 6.5 PRC brass neck it to .25 put it into a barrel with a 7.5 twist barrel(which Blackjack already does barrel wise) it will lack a Man Bun as most .25 caliber shooters wouldn't be caught dead with one .... Sierra makes heavy .25 bullets, 133 gr... probably others(Blackjack 131 gr.) Berger makes a 135 gr...(G1 .650 BC, G7 .334)