Scope Ring and Mount Recommendations for

JR924

Have the Sauer 100 Classic Rifle and Burris Signature 2x10x40 scope. Problem is the Talley 1" Extended Mounts I bought were too low and the scope tube is too short. Sending rings back and looking at one piece Pikatinny rail and scope rings. Rifle uses Remington 700 long action scope bases. Want scope as close to barrel as possible so thinking something like a Leupold Backcountry or Talley Base with low Vortex, Leupold or Warne Rings. I want a good solid scope setup where accuracy of setup is consistent in the field. Trying to stay close to $100. Weight of mount and rings not an issue so steel or aluminum OK, just needs to rigid and strong. The internet information on rings and mounts is confusing on heights of the different components when fitted on a scope. What do you guys use and swear by for hunting? Seems a low should work with a 40 mm but maybe needs to be a medium. Will it make any difference between a medium or low ring in terms of accurate comfortable shooting? Only other choice is to go to a gun store and get rings and bases fitted. Not mobile, driver fears COVID and afraid low in stock. Do you know of a gun or sporting goods store that has good selection and gives that kind of service to at least loose fit the components to make sure they work? Thank you in advance for any responses.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I use a picatinny rail on most of nine. You could use a Weaver rail too. Then you can stack nickles on the base and see what height the rings need to be by setting the scope on the stack of nickles and adding or subtracting nickles as necessary to get the scope where you want it height wise. Most rings are measured to the center... so add .5 to the nickle stack height for the 1" tube and you should be good...assuming you can measure in .001ths. Then you can then move each ring close to where it needs to be to work with the scope within 1/4" or so. Has always been a solid mount for me.

Hope that makes sense.

35 Whelen

I have always used Leupold 2 piece dual dovetail rings and bases for my rifles. However, the last two scopes I mounted I used DNZ one piece mounts, really like the results. All the rifle/scope combinations I have use low rings. All the scopes I use have 40mm or smaller objective lenses.

bullgator

Get the Talley base and rings. Low should work fine with a 40mm objective. Remember to push your rings to the front of the picatinny slot before tightening.

JR924

Thanks for the supplies. I ordered a Talley Picatinny rail and Talley medium rings. I did find a set of Burris low rings I had but use those only if it makes a difference in the cheek weld. I have a hard time working with the horizontal screws on the Burris scope ring. Note I tried the Quarter method but could not measure it accurately.

Jester896

Senior Clown
you have to have the rail on first. The quarters will be still then. It doesn't allow for the height of the base if you do it the other way.

Big7

The Oracle
I just made a post about this in the X Bolt thread.
I have the Sauer in 300 Win Mag and I'm getting a one piece DNZ for mine. Go look at my post for explanation. I already have one on a target 10/22. IMO, unless you go with a high end German steel base and rings, these are your best bet. Of course, if every gunmaker would do like Ruger did on the M77 MK1 and MK2, the world would be a better place. :cool:

The Sauer 100 has the same bolt pattern as the Remington 700.