Rifle shooting low

basshappy

BANNED
I did not. What are the chances 2 scopes of different manufacturers would malfunction exactly the same?

Given all of the weirdness here I would throw the scope on a different rifle to quickly rule out the scope and the rings and the base. If the scope and rings and base on a different rifle works as designed then you rule the scope out. Quick test.

Stevie Ray

My son has an M77 MKII .270win that was shooting some pretty wild groups from the factory so he took it to a gunsmith and the smith had to do a lot of tweaking on the action screws (specifically the diagonal screw) torque values and I do remember him stating that the M77 MKIIs can be very finicky with torquing the action screws but I'm not so sure they can be 2' low @ 10 yards finicky. His shot, and still does, lights out since the adjustment.

Like others have stated, that turret placed that far forward looks weird to me, don't think I've ever seen one like that.

I too am interested in your smith's findings.

Good luck!

Dub

"Gun is shooting 2 feet low"

Shooting lower than what, exactly ?

Is it shooting 2 feet lower than your boresight ?

Yes, that is how I initially bore sight a scope only I start at 10 yards to more readily fill the barrel sight view.

Going back to the beginning of this.....can't help but thinking about the 10y distance.

10y is an unusual distance to be making considerations about a scoped rifle....at least in my opinion.

I suggest bore sighting by viewing a further target. Pull bolt and actually view something 50y+.....or 100y+ through the barrel. Adjust the crosshairs accordingly while the gun is anchored in place.

Then....try actually shooting at 25y, 50y and 100y....making corrections as you go.

sleepr71

Definitely bizarre. I can’t even imagine being off 2 ft..just 10 yds away. Either the scope has failed & crosshairs are super elevated,or the round is hitting the brake,as it exits & deflecting down. It would take something crazy to bend that barrel..and you would notice it with the bolt out. Looking down bore..I’d think you’d see the MB off center & have Copper residue on it..IF that’s the issue. Gonna be interesting..

Jester896

Senior Clown
i think i would expect it to be what ever the scope height was offset at 10 yards for it to be that much low. somewhere around 25 or so yards i would expect it to start to cross the apex first line and closer to zero. and that the scope would be closer to the center of the travel at this point....not the end like he is experiencing. something is array

WishboneW

Same thought I had. Could be maybe shooting it too much getting hot and warping or hitting something hard today. He may have jumped out the tree and club a buck with it
I shot it a lot working various loads. It was my go to gun from 2004 up till I bought a mid 80’s m700 in 30.06 4 years ago.

I shoot out of a lead sled with 25 lbs # 5 shot in the tray. I really think that is what did it over time.

WishboneW

How do u bend a barrel back straight!
Not sure I would trust that.
Curtis Wilbanks did 2 shotguns for me early 2000’s which both work well today

I suspect it depends on how much bend.

I will definitely shoot at the range at several distances. Rarely are there shots over 150 yds at my club. If I go to a place where I might shoot that far I take the 30.06.

This gun is my wet weather short range gun

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Odd that a barrel would bend and the windage still be dead on.

Thanks for sharing.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Glad you got it straightened out... :bounce:

Ain't nobody ever shot a bolt gun hot enough to bend a barrel, and I've heard of lead sled shooting cracking stocks, breaking scopes, ring/mount screws, and such as that.

But bend a barrel?

I'm very skeptical.

And I am very curious how he put the absolute perfect reverse bend in the barrel to fix it.

Had it been mine and it was bent, a new barrel would have been the answer if I liked the gun well enough...

Just my nickels worth.

killerv

Glad you got it straightened out... :bounce:

Ain't nobody ever shot a bolt gun hot enough to bend a barrel, and I've heard of lead sled shooting cracking stocks, breaking scopes, ring/mount screws, and such as that.

But bend a barrel?

I'm very skeptical.

And I am very curious how he put the absolute perfect reverse bend in the barrel to fix it.

Had it been mine and it was bent, a new barrel would have been the answer if I liked the gun well enough...

Just my nickels worth.
I agree, metal has a way of "remembering"....I'd just about bet it bends back some after some shooting. Replace the barrel.