Had to replace the old Bushnell Elite 4200

44magpastor

Years ago, I bought a Bushnell Elite 4200. Got it for 199, seems like they were discontinuing the series or something. Anyway, I ran it on my 270 and it was awesome. Never had to adjust it. Just verify its on every year......put the crosshairs on the bucks shoulder and squeeze the trigger. No telling how many deer I killed, over the past 15 years with that scope, on a Winchester 70 Classic Featherweight.

A few days ago, it became evident that the scope died. Got it out, started checking and, it was a shooting a foot to the right and wouldn't adjust, at all. No reason for it, gun hasn't been touched. Its been in a case, in my cabinet, since last season.

So I replaced the old Bushnell with a new Vortex Diamondback, 3-9 x 40. Haven't shot it yet, but very impressed with the clarity and image. The field of view might be a little more narrow than the old scope, but no big deal.

Anybody else run Vortex? What do you think?

sghoghunter

I got one and didn’t like it. Crosshairs was to thin and didn’t do as well in low light as my Bushnels. I’m not real crazy about Vortex scopes but I love my diamondback bino’s

Mauser

For the money I’ve been pleased so far. I’ve got 3 diamondbacks,FIL has one and my dad has two. No issues with any so far. Not saying there aren’t better scopes out there but I feel like you’ll pay more than the 200 to 250 I’ve got in the diamondbacks.

krizia829

Years ago, I bought a Bushnell Elite 4200. Got it for 199, seems like they were discontinuing the series or something. Anyway, I ran it on my 270 and it was awesome. Never had to adjust it. Just verify its on every year......put the crosshairs on the bucks shoulder and squeeze the trigger. No telling how many deer I killed, over the past 15 years with that scope, on a Winchester 70 Classic Featherweight.

A few days ago, it became evident that the scope died. Got it out, started checking and, it was a shooting a foot to the right and wouldn't adjust, at all. No reason for it, gun hasn't been touched. Its been in a case, in my cabinet, since last season.

So I replaced the old Bushnell with a new Vortex Diamondback, 3-9 x 40. Haven't shot it yet, but very impressed with the clarity and image. The field of view might be a little more narrow than the old scope, but no big deal.

The first scope I ever owned was the Bushnell Elite Firefly model where you light it with the flashlight for a bit and the crosshairs would glow for a long, long time. I loved that scope, however, on an Alabama hunting trip when I was about 16 or so I tripped on a tree root and landed on my back trying to avoid hitting my face and I had it on a sling on my back and I didn't realize that I fell so hard that I bent the tube.

Doe comes out about 80 yards or so and gave me 4 chances to shoot her (never ran away). I missed every time. By A LOT. My dad was on the other end and was able to see the whole thing. He took a shot and got her. Little while later, a bobcat comes out chasing a rabbit about 25 yards. Quartered away, I take the shot. Ended up going through the butt and out the neck..

Came back home from the trip and went to the range. Could never sight it in again until someone noticed a slight bend on the tube. Changed it for my current Nikon Monarch and never looked back. Only Vortex I have is a Sonora on my 17HMR but I haven't used it yet. Always heard good things about all their scopes. Hope it works out for you!

Lilly001

Less expensive scopes (under 300$ IMHO) have increased in performance to the point they now preform as well as expensive models did 20-30 years ago.
But the top of the line scopes are phenomenal performers.
I’m not in the “high quality range “yet”.
But my 700-1k scopes are the shizzle to my eyes.
And durability seems to be much better the more $ you spend.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a couple of the Diamondback HPs that are pretty good for what I use them for. I don't know that I would judge the entire Vortex line by them since I have several of the Viper series too.

rosewood

Have you checked with Bushnell? I think they have a lifetime warranty. They may fix or replace it.

I had bought one of their AR rifle scopes and the zoom ring took 2 hands to turn it. They replaced it with a newer nicer model. I may have had to pay shipping to them, can't remember.

Rosewood

Dub

The original version of that scope was the Bausch & Lomb model.

I had the 4-16x50mm model.

To this day that scope remains one of the best low light scopes I've ever used. Amazing lens coatings.

Whoever they contracted to make those really nailed some great specs.

If memory serves me correctly, they had a one-year or two-year money back guarantee if you weren't pleased with it...on top of the manufacturers warranty.

I don't remember what Bushnell did once they adopted the line under their brand.