Rifle shooting low

WishboneW

Ruger M77 MKII compact, stainless, laminated stock .308 caliber.

@10 yards the point of impact is 2 feet low with all the elevation adjustment in. Windage is perfect.

Have owned the rifle since new in 2004. Has had 2 scopes, Zeiss conquest 3 x 9 50 mm and currently a Burris signature 3 x 9 40 mm.

The Zeiss was installed on the rifle when I purchased it and stayed on undisturbed until this summer.. I have shot this rifle a lot with this scope up until last year. I shot it and it was on target, put it up in the safe where it stayed undisturbed and this summer it shot low first off. Sent the scope to Zeiss and they sent me a new one. OK, but I did not like it. Put the Burris on after checking to ensure rings were secure and the action still tight on the stock. The action was removed and reinstalled once in 2005.

There are no nicks on the crown. I have probably put 700 rounds down the tube of this gun with no issues.

Looking for some suggestions on what to check.

Cmcharles

Have you set a target at 20-25 yards, put the gun in a vise, pull the bolt and look down the barrel then check point of aim on the scope?

WishboneW

Have you set a target at 20-25 yards, put the gun in a vise, pull the bolt and look down the barrel then check point of aim on the scope?
Yes, that is how I initially bore sight a scope only I start at 10 yards to more readily fill the barrel sight view.

WishboneW

2 ft low @ 10 feet? Wow! Is the Burris new? Maybe the elevation adjustment is broken?
Not broken. I adjusted it to raise the point of impact (move cross hairs up) and it shot lower. Both scopes, the Zeiss and Burris, acted the same. Wish I had not sent it back to Zeiss.

WishboneW

If you moved reticle up...the impact will be lower...
I expected that. I move it just to confirm to myself that the reticle was indeed moving in accordance with the indicator on the scope.

It acts like a bent barrel, however, there have been no blows, drops or impacts of any kind. The barrel is 16.25 inches long from the factory.

One of my cousins had a winchester 22 auto that had a bent barrel did the same thing, but shot left. Longer barrel you could see the bend though.

menhadenman

I have a Burris 3 x 9 40 mm fullfield in the drawer.

What are the odds 2 scopes are bad elevation wise but not windage?
In my experience - which is decent but not as much as others on here - funny stuff like you’re describing is poor mounting or the scope itself. Sounds like you know what you’re doing so I’d guess scope failure.

@bullgator makes a good point too.

If the Burris shoots fine I’d blame the scope. If it’s shooting in the same spot I’d blame the mount.

Sounds like you’re pretty confident the gun is ok?

WishboneW

In my experience - which is decent but not as much as others on here - funny stuff like you’re describing is poor mounting or the scope itself. Sounds like you know what you’re doing so I’d guess scope failure.

@bullgator makes a good point too.

If the Burris shoots fine I’d blame the scope. If it’s shooting in the same spot I’d blame the mount.

Sounds like you’re pretty confident the gun is ok?
Not confident the gun is ok. Have not loosened a thing on the mounts since initial install, only the screws that hold the upper ring to the lower

The Godevil

I expected that. I move it just to confirm to myself that the reticle was indeed moving in accordance with the indicator on the scope.

It acts like a bent barrel, however, there have been no blows, drops or impacts of any kind. The barrel is 16.25 inches long from the factory.

One of my cousins had a winchester 22 auto that had a bent barrel did the same thing, but shot left. Longer barrel you could see the bend though.
So when you say "you moved the reticle to confirm it was moving in accordance with the indicator on the scope" which way does that reticle move when adjusting up? Just trying to make sure I completely understand the situation.

WishboneW

So when you say "you moved the reticle to confirm it was moving in accordance with the indicator on the scope" which way does that reticle move when adjusting up? Just trying to make sure I completely understand the
So when you say "you moved the reticle to confirm it was moving in accordance with the indicator on the scope" which way does that reticle move when adjusting up? Just trying to make sure I completely understand the situation.
I turned the turret fully counter clockwise, the “up” direction to get it to shoot 2 feet low. I turned it clockwise as that was the only direction there was adjustment available. That moved the reticle up resulting in an even lower point of impact

ilbcnu

Had similar problem when I went from a leupold to a Burris scope on a 243. Installed leupold cross slot bases and Burris signature zee rings and fixed it right up

The Godevil

I turned the turret fully counter clockwise, the “up” direction to get it to shoot 2 feet low. I turned it clockwise as that was the only direction there was adjustment available. That moved the reticle up resulting in an even lower point of impact
Any way to post a pic of the rifle from the side? 2' low at 10 yards is wild. I could be wrong, but with that much of a discrepancy, it may be possible to diagnose with a visual?

WishboneW

If no trouble before and now 2 scopes doing the same thing. I'd suspect mounts. Are you sure you dont have mismatched rings or bases or a mixup between fronts and rears?
Mounts and rings are Ruger original. Rings and mounts are integral. Been on the gun since new never removed and are tight