Scope Mounting

Big7

The Oracle
I just learned in the last few months the Loctite you use should be based on the size of the screw, not the strength you want. Smaller screws should use pink (low strength), mid sized screws should use blue (mid strength) and large screws should use red (high strength). More or less a function of the torque the screw should be tightened to.

I can't remember where the screw size cutoff is for each type, but I bought a bottle of pink to use on scope base screws and the like.

I also only use Loctite on the base screws. Never use it on the ring screws, just torque with my Fat Wrench.

Rosewood
I don't know who told you that- but it's wrong.

The "color" or strength LocTite you use is based on what you want it to do.

It's a little confusing now because some manufacturers have come up with their own color coding system. Whereas, the companies that started after LocTite copied their color codings.

The LocTite website will tell you all you need to know. If you can't find the exact info you need on line, PM me or post it. I got you. :wink:

Attached is a pic of a Harbor Freight copycat.
You can see the "blue" is "Semi- Permanent" as it is equal, roughly to blue LocTite.

You can get in bad trouble real quick guessing which LocTite to use.

.https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/know-how/build-things/threadlocker-red-or-blue-which-ones-right-for-you.html#A
20231103_013924.jpg

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
The short answer is use BLUE LOCTITE 242 on bases, Weaver and Pic Rails. That's common trade craft.

If you must use LocTite on ring caps, use
BLUE LOCTITE 242 there too. I don't put it on ring caps.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER- USE ANYTHING STRONGER THAN BLUE LOCTITE 242 ON BASES OR RING CAPS. (OR EQUIVALENT)

rosewood

Directly off the loctite webpage. Looks like they are saying on threads below a specific size are limited to the strength you can need use to prevent stripping. I think I misunderstood what they were saying. But thread size should be considered as well as strength.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103_180158_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_180158_Samsung Internet.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
Last edited:

rosewood

here is a .pdf chart from their site

it take 110inlb to break 242. # 6 screws won't handle that easily. If you are leery about putting fire to your gun to break it loose...soldier melts at about 350* and you could use one of those pistol type guns to heat it up to the 300* that softens it.
I thought solder melted at about 600??