Scope Mounting

SWAMPFOX

When I mount a scope on a rifle I use blue Loctite on the base screws. However, when I attached the rings with the scope to the base I don't use any type of thread locker. I tighten the screws down snug and give them a tap to "set" them. I have always been hesitant to use a liquid thread locker in case I need to remove the scope for repair down the road.

Is this a good method or should I consider a liquid thread locker?

Thanks.

35 Whelen

I do the same as well, never had a problem.

Liberty

Not to get nerdy, but it depends on the components used. Before doing anything I dry fit the bases and screws to ensure no interference is occurring. Then holes in the receiver are greased and a light layer of grease is added to the base and more into the screw holes. The bases get bedded with Acraglass and torqued to 10 inch pounds. The next day,I pull it apart and degrease the holes thoroughly, then reinstall with medium thread locker. The bases get torqued to 22 inch pounds. I always put my rifle in a vice bolted down and level the action. Then I attach a clamp on level to the barrel so that I can verify that the action is level throughout the process About 20 yards from the vise I hang a plumb from a tree limb. On a hard kicker, I put the rings on and lap them. Then I level the scope to the plumb and tighten down to 22 inch pounds with medium thread locker-purple, ensuring that the scope stays on level. Wheeler sells a great kit for doing this work, and padded vise jaws are awfully cheap.

Clemson

It is the tension on the threads that holds the fasteners in -- not the friction. I don't care for Loctite on scope bases or rings unless there are extenuating circumstances (such as an aluminum receiver).

Bill Jacobs

Last edited by a moderator:

killerv

You are doing right, no reason to locktite those ring screws, some folks might put fingernail polish on top to see if the screws move

specialk

yep finger nail polish...i prefer midnight orange, goes with my vest!.....

just kidding, use clear polish....

Liberty

While we’re on the topic of fingernail polish, it works great on dovetailed rifle sights to see if they’ve moved, Winchester 94 rear being the one I’ve had move around the most.

rosewood

I just learned in the last few months the Loctite you use should be based on the size of the screw, not the strength you want. Smaller screws should use pink (low strength), mid sized screws should use blue (mid strength) and large screws should use red (high strength). More or less a function of the torque the screw should be tightened to.

I can't remember where the screw size cutoff is for each type, but I bought a bottle of pink to use on scope base screws and the like.

I also only use Loctite on the base screws. Never use it on the ring screws, just torque with my Fat Wrench.

Rosewood

pjciii

I just learned in the last few months the Loctite you use should be based on the size of the screw, not the strength you want. Smaller screws should use pink (low strength), mid sized screws should use blue (mid strength) and large screws should use red (high strength). More or less a function of the torque the screw should be tightened to.

I can't remember where the screw size cutoff is for each type, but I bought a bottle of pink to use on scope base screws and the like.

I also only use Loctite on the base screws. Never use it on the ring screws, just torque with my Fat Wrench.

Rosewood

Loctite was invented to hold Harleys together. :ROFLMAO:

Liberty

Rosewood
The Wheeler set comes with purple/pink colored thread locker. Never had a problem getting it loose.

rosewood

The Wheeler set comes with purple/pink colored thread locker. Never had a problem getting it loose.
Yeah that is the low strength loctite 222.

Liberty

Yeah that is the low strength loctite 222.
Thanks for giving me a number to go with it so I can buy some more when this dries up! I’ve been really happy with the results using it.

rosewood

Thanks for giving me a number to go with it so I can buy some more when this dries up! I’ve been really happy with the results using it.
The only reason I knew the number was because the bottle I bought was sitting in front me on the coffee table when I sent the message. :)

Buckstop

I use the blue loctite on base screws and purple on ring screws and torch to spec. Never had a problem. Little heat will do the trick if any trouble to remove.

Latest posts