Where to go fishing with two-year old

Njoseph2

My wife and I moved to Atlanta a few years ago, and I've not been fortunate to do the amount of fishing I did pre-move. I recently enjoyed getting our two-year old son on some fish, and so did he. He now walks around the house holding an imaginary fishing pole, uses his limited vocabulary to talk about going fishing in dad's truck, and insists on fishing stories before bed time. Given his age, I'd like to take him "catching" rather than fishing for now - even if that means just catching tiny bream.

Anyone have any recommendations of a public access area where my two-year old son can reliably catch a few fish from the bank before his short attention span wears out?

dslc6487

Don't know much about telling you where to fish, but, take care to keep your eye on your son wherever you go. His little mind is going to be totally thinking about fish and nothing else. Also watch out for snakes if around any bushy areas around the water...

westcobbdog

Get your spot figured out then take the fisherman to Walmart, for $12-$15 you can get a closed face reliable little zebco Rod and reel and buy your worms there, too.

My wife and I moved to Atlanta a few years ago, and I've not been fortunate to do the amount of fishing I did pre-move. I recently enjoyed getting our two-year old son on some fish, and so did he. He now walks around the house holding an imaginary fishing pole, uses his limited vocabulary to talk about going fishing in dad's truck, and insists on fishing stories before bed time. Given his age, I'd like to take him "catching" rather than fishing for now - even if that means just catching tiny bream.

Anyone have any recommendations of a public access area where my two-year old son can reliably catch a few fish from the bank before his short attention span wears out?
Thanks for reaching out to the forum to figure out a place to foster your young one's interest in fishing. It will likely pay dividends down the road for you and him if you can keep him "hooked"...

GA DNR's website has some good resources to give a look:

Places to go fishing in GA: https://georgiawildlife.com/locations/fishing

For trout fishing, wait for DH season on the 'Hooch, and then take him to a DNR bucket brigade. They have had them at Whitewater Creek and Paces Mill the last couple of seasons. They announce the events on their fishing blog: https://georgiawildlife.blog/category/fishing/

The two folks that mentioned Stone Mountain and Charlie Elliot made good suggestions. Fort Yargo, Arabia Mountain, and Sweetwater Creek State Park are others that may be within your vicinity that could offer decent bass/bream fishing opportunities. If you go to Charlie Elliot/Marben PFA, hone in on Greenhouse Pond or Dove Pond - they are exclusively for kids. Another thing to consider is asking you buddies that live in HOA communities for permission to fish a community pond, but get written permission just to ***. Good luck!

Latest posts