Civil War bullet?

whitetaco02

I got a buddy that found this near the house. He was wanting some more info on it and I know we have a resident expert here on this site. Can you all help me out?

Attachments

• IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 509

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
Where did your friend find it??......It is possible that it could be a Civil War projectile, but it might be a modern day black powder projectile.....Looks like a buffalo bullet to me ...........The Civil War projectiles we found with a metal detector when I was a Teenager had a little bit more patina to them than the one in your pictures............Most of the Civil War era projectiles had a conical shaped head, and not flat

Yours could have been deformed on impact

The pictures just don't give me enough to go on

It is definitely a Black Powder/Muzzle Loader patchless Projectile from looking at the base.........That area expands on combustion to make contact with the rifling in the barrel

The projectiles we found when I was a kid had much more patina to them........Even after washing they were white

Last edited:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Hard to tell by the photo, but it looks to be kind of small for a Civil War .58 caliber Minie Ball.

whitetaco02

Where did your friend find it??......It is possible that it could be a Civil War projectile, but it might be a modern day black powder projectile.....Looks like a buffalo bullet to me ...........The Civil War projectiles we found with a metal detector when I was a Teenager had a little bit more patina to them than the one in your pictures............Most of the Civil War era projectiles had a conical shaped head, and not flat

Yours could have been deformed on impact

The pictures just don't give me enough to go on

It is definitely a Black Powder/Muzzle Loader patchless Projectile from looking at the base.........That area expands on combustion to make contact with the rifling in the barrel

The projectiles we found when I was a kid had much more patina to them........Even after washing they were white

He found it using a metal detector in Danville. I guess that would be Twiggs County?

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
He found it using a metal detector in Danville. I guess that would be Twiggs County?
How deep in the ground??

I know where Danville is..........From my knowledge of Civil War History............I don't recall much activity in the Danville area, and just to be sure I Googled it, and did not find anything.

Shermans Troops went to the Northeast of Danville through Milledgeville, and Sandersville.

Closest he came was Griswoldville.

Like I said it does not look like anything we found on known areas of activity......The ones we found also had more grooves around the base...........Looks like what I have known from muzzleloading as what is called a buffalo bullet.

If he had found several in this location??:huh::huh:

But this might have been a shot at a deer with a modern day muzzleloader.

whitetaco02

How deep in the ground??

I know where Danville is..........From my knowledge of Civil War History............I don't recall much activity in the Danville area, and just to be sure I Googled it, and did not find anything.

Shermans Troops went to the Northeast of Danville through Milledgeville, and Sandersville.

Closest he came was Griswoldville.

Like I said it does not look like anything we found on known areas of activity......The ones we found also had more grooves around the base...........Looks like what I have known from muzzleloading as what is called a buffalo bullet.

If he had found several in this location??:huh::huh:

But this might have been a shot at a deer with a modern day muzzleloader.

Thank you!

SkintRider

Depending on diameter, could be a hollow base wadcutter pistol target round. Shot lots of .38 special at paper targets. Makes neat round holes easier to measure groups when shooting Bullseye matches. Loaded down to about 600 fps for light recoil.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
People have been hunting here since way before the Civil War, may be an old hunting round..................