Atlanta United 2018

Coenen

United put their first preseason "friendly" match in the books yesterday on a swampy pitch in Nashville.

They lost a couple key guys in the offseason. I will miss Asad greatly, but it looks like adding Darlington Nagbe from Portland will be a huge boon to their ability to create on the attack. Opponents will really have to pick their poison with Nagbe and Almiron leading the charge, and Martinez always lurking.

Still space left on the bandwagon, just saying. :cool:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Didn't they get a young guy from Brazil? From there national team

Coenen

Didn't they get a young guy from Brazil? From there national team
Ezequiel Barco? He was a big part of Argentina's Under-20 squad, it was a bit of a coup for the team, and MLS, to have signed him.

I think he's part of their "insurance" if/when they finally lose Almiron to Europe. Having Tata Martino for a coach seems to have given them a lot of leverage with young players in South America.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Nashville is USL aka a lower league

I renewed my season tickets and am excited for the games to start back up.

I kind of wish we'd have a couple games in Bobby Dodd each season for old times sake.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Cant wait for the home opener. I think we will have a great season, hoping for a 1 or 2 seed in the east.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Who's going to the home opener on Sunday? Based on the showing against Houston and our struggles with DC last year - I do not expect a good result this weekend. We need to get Lauro out of the backline.

I'll be amazed if Asad doesn't end up on the scoresheet.

Coenen

Who's going to the home opener on Sunday? Based on the showing against Houston and our struggles with DC last year - I do not expect a good result this weekend. We need to get Lauro out of the backline.

I'll be amazed if Asad doesn't end up on the scoresheet.
They were awful against Houston for sure. Their track record against DC is no good either. Hopefully they can outscore them.

I know you can't keep everyone, but losing Carmona and Asad has clearly hurt them. I'm sure Tata will make the necessary adjustments, but I expect it'll take some time for them to round into form.

Last edited:

Coenen

Home cooking did them some good, in front of another record crowd.

Great showing to bounce back from last week's embarrassment. Defense still shaky, and still allowing quality chances, and goals, after the game should be in hand. I'm sure they'll continue to work in cleaning that up. The tactical alignment shift paid big dividends though. Nagbe and Gressel (especially) were both excellent distributing the ball. Gressel moving over to the wing was reminiscent of Walkes last season, except Gressel actually has some touch when he sends the ball into the box!

Hard to lose when you've got Josef, Miggy, and Tito all on the score sheet. :cool:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Great game and great atmosphere! Can't wait for Saturday.

Coenen

Another big win, AUFC dropping bombs on Vancouver. Atlanta has figured out how to capture the American soccer audience, score a lot of goals.

Great game and great atmosphere! Can't wait for Saturday.
Would you say the wait was worth it? :cool:

This could've easily been a 6 or 7 goal performance for ATL. I'm sure Tata will be in their ear about it. Still some questions on defense, especially with the apparent injury to Escobar in the closing minutes of the match. They may need to add a piece to bolster the back line.

Gressel had a whale of a match out on the wing. I thought Nagbe and LGP played well as facilitators. Nagbe's time with the team is coming. He is clearly dangerous when he's on the ball, and as opponents adjust to the other threats Atlanta brings going forward, I think Darlington will start finding more space to operate.

What'd you guys think of the VAR / Red / PK?

Nitram4891

Flop Thief

Another big win, AUFC dropping bombs on Vancouver. Atlanta has figured out how to capture the American soccer audience, score a lot of goals.

Would you say the wait was worth it? :cool:

This could've easily been a 6 or 7 goal performance for ATL. I'm sure Tata will be in their ear about it. Still some questions on defense, especially with the apparent injury to Escobar in the closing minutes of the match. They may need to add a piece to bolster the back line.

Gressel had a whale of a match out on the wing. I thought Nagbe and LGP played well as facilitators. Nagbe's time with the team is coming. He is clearly dangerous when he's on the ball, and as opponents adjust to the other threats Atlanta brings going forward, I think Darlington will start finding more space to operate.

What'd you guys think of the VAR / Red / PK?

Kind of soft but its either a red/PK or nothing. I don't think you can give a yellow for contact to the head.

PappyHoel

Protect yourself if you go see one of these teams play. Especially if you are not Caucasianly challenged.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Glad we got the weekend off to focus on turkey hunting. Hope we hand Minnesota a nice big L on Easter Sunday.

Coenen

Glad we got the weekend off to focus on turkey hunting. Hope we hand Minnesota a nice big L on Easter Sunday.
It's a small sample size for sure, but it's not as if their away form can be much worse than it was in Houston. Hopefully, we get a repeat of last season, lots of snow, and an avalanche of goals to the 5-Stripes!