U.S. department of interior

Uptonongood

You might have been right when I was your age. I have hunted in and around the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge since 1978. Back when I first hunted around here we had Refuge / Federal game wardens that were in the river every day. We had Refuge management that went out of the away to insure that all concerns of all party’s were addressed. Bird Watchers got to watch , hunters got to hunt.Now a days I don’t feel it’s that way. The same attitude that would remove your guns and stop hunting completely is alive and well in our Refuge system. Recently hunting grounds were reduced at the SNWR. Now I can not say that all Refuge system folks are that way but I can say that I have seen with my own eyes former Refuge employees lobby and defend a program that would not allow youth hunts in prime areas of Refuge.

I knew the senior manager of the Savannah refuge system (including Blackbeard Island) and the manager of the Savannah River refuge during that time. They were “good ol’ Boys” who liked hunting and were hunters.