Savannah This Weekend

BWebb88

I've got the salt bug, bad. Gotta make a day trip.
I'm thinking about hitting up Savannah on Saturday. Never fished anywhere north of St Simmons island.
It'll just be me and my kayak. How's the bite been lately? Any spots anyone would be willing to recommend? Can i catch bait with a throw net, or wheres a good bait shop to buy some?

Day trip

I’ve always wanted to kayak fish the creeks just south of Rodney J Hall ramp at skidaway narrows. You can see the area from the road and on google earth maps. The creek mouth is about 300 yds south of the ramp. I’ve never fished it but it looks great.
There has been no live bait in the water or to buy (or has anything changed in the last two weeks? Anyone know?) there is a little cold spell coming with highs in the mid 60’s, Saturday calls for easterly winds, in other words it’s not a good time to fish. With that being said, I’ve got the bug too and will be fishing some spots in shore around Hilton Head for sheepshead and whatever else chooses to bite (if anything). The offshore forecast looks a little sketchy for this weekend.

Good luck and if you try that spot, let us know how it looks.

Rob G

Skidaway Narrows

Bait shop at Skidaway narrows (Bandy's) had some live bait last weekend. I saw people coming down from bait shop with aerated buckets. I do not know if they had shrimp or mud minnows. Very little bait available by cast netting.

Many places to fish around Skidaway narrows that are only accessible by Kayak.

Other option would be to go to Tybee and launch from the Back river and fish that area.

Good luck!

XJfire75

Bite was rough last weekend. Water temps slowly getting right, if we would quite with the roller coaster weather the bite would be on fire. 66 degrees or so in the rivers. I’d stay inland of the barrier islands to find some warmer water.

There’s was a dnr volunteer at the ramp by Bandy’s Saturday and he had checked 1 Redfish all day by 2:30 when we pulled out.