Need help with my linked deer sausage?

Mako22

BANNED
I made my 1st batch of linked sausage today and I used the LEM Backwoods brand maple sausage seasoning from Bass pro to season it with. It was ok but a little weak in flavor and the consistency of the meat was very fine, almost smooth like. I wasn't real happy with it. I mixed a 7 pound doe ham with a 6.25 pound boston butt and stuffed it all into 32mm casings from bass pro.

I ground pork and venison chunks together with my course plate 1st and then added the seasoning. Next I did a 2nd grind with my medium plate and then a third time threw the grinder with the stuffing plate in. How do I keep from getting such a fine ground result? Do I need to grind once with the course and that's it or twice with the course?

sausage.jpg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I grind my meat once, on a medium-small plate. Always, for everything.

paulito

I grind once as well and then stuff. I am a bit lazy so i typically mix bacon with my deer meat for most applications. usually at a 70/30 deer to bacon ratio. I have also used beef fat. Its just hard to come by here in the "city" with all the regulations.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When you are making sausage what do you mix with the venison and what ratios?

About 25% pork fat. I get it from the butcher guy at Ingles. They usually have some back there, or will save you some if you ask.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I made my 1st batch of linked sausage today and I used the LEM Backwoods brand maple sausage seasoning from Bass pro to season it with. It was ok but a little weak in flavor and the consistency of the meat was very fine, almost smooth like. I wasn't real happy with it. I mixed a 7 pound doe ham with a 6.25 pound boston butt and stuffed it all into 32mm casings from bass pro.

I ground pork and venison chunks together with my course plate 1st and then added the seasoning. Next I did a 2nd grind with my medium plate and then a third time threw the grinder with the stuffing plate in. How do I keep from getting such a fine ground result? Do I need to grind once with the course and that's it or twice with the course?

View attachment 925377

You ground that sausage slam to death.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, Leggs is the only store-bought sausage seasoning I'll use. The Old Plantation #10 makes perfect breakfast sausage. With deer sausage, you always need to put more seasoning than it calls for.

MFOSTER

BANNED
Put your seasoning on it before grinding,only grind once into casing,I’d add a little more fat to keep it from being dry.i always add a little sage and red pepper flakes to the leggs.
(If you put mix in a little water and stir it up and pour on the meat then stir meat it will stick to the meat a little better)

jigman29

AC Leggs is the way to go. I use 1.5 times what it calls for to get a little more flavor and I like 25% fat tops. And like Hillbilly says only grind once.

Mako22

BANNED
I talked to a local butcher who will sell me pork fat when ever I need it so will try again in about 2 weeks. I'm going to review this thread and take yall's advice on the next try. Thanks for all the input.