Transporting a Kayak

gibby391

Just bought my first Kayak and looking for ways of getting it to the water. I have a Tacoma with a 6 foot bed and the kayak is 13 feet long. I am not very comfortable with 7 feet hanging out the back. I am thinking about a roof rack. Just wondering what the hive has found best over the years.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 535

Coenen

Bed extender, or a small utility trailer. A 13ft kayak will be pretty unpleasant to have to get up on a roof rack, especially if you intend to fish by yourself.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have a Tacoma with the six foot bed and use a bed extender for my 14' Cuda. Mine is a T-Bone bed extender.
Jeff

crfman734x

Harbor freight has their Haul Master trailers on sale this weekend (always some kind of sale) for less than $300 then you can use it for other things as well...check out fellow yakers rigs online...a lot easier than the extenders.

Attachments

• yak.jpg
    yak.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 503

jcarleto

This works pretty well for me. Predator MX boats ride with legal overhang and it is easy to load and unload. I use 3 straps per boat to secure and can go highway speed without concern. The boats ride upright.

I built this from gas pipe and awning corners with a couple of pairs of trailer rollers. The front and rear sections come apart by loosening the 6 screws on the middle and side support tubes. This allows me to hang the front and rear sections flat on the garage wall with the pipes below. Setup and tear down is about 3-5 minutes.

It is not attached to the truck and just sits in the bed. For highway use, I run a strap around the lower supports at the front to fix them to the bed. Below 60mph, it stays put by itself.

Attachments

• KayakRack.jpg
    KayakRack.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 474
  • KayakRack1.jpg
    KayakRack1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 471

Killdee

I just bought an extender from harbor freight, out of stock so I bought on line takes a week standard shipping. Google HF 20% off coupon for a discount. I hav a tacoma with a tool box and will be hauling an 11' kayak.

Harbor freight has their Haul Master trailers on sale this weekend (always some kind of sale) for less than $300 then you can use it for other things as well...check out fellow yakers rigs online...a lot easier than the extenders.

This...... I love my kayak trailer setup too. Best purchase I have made in a while.

killerv

I sure like my yakima rack on my ridgeline, also had it on my old Frontier. Carries a 14ft canoe easily. For a kayak, just let down the tailgate and slide it on from the rear...yakima also makes a boat loader that comes out of one of the bars to make loading a large kayak or canoe a one man job.

Tacoma

I have a HFT bed extender that anyone with a kayak can have. It's only free to kayak guys. PM me, if interested.

Last edited:

The mtn man

I built a bed extender a few years ago, i just recently bought an old Jon boat trailer and built a kayak trailer over it, i can now haul 6 kayaks no problem if I need to, I'm going to build a rack on the top for bikes.