Everglades interior near Naples

JR924

Taking a guided fishing trip this Friday, my wife and daughter won on a charity auction. into the Everglades Swamp. Not sure on location we will fish but about an hour from Naples. Suppose to see birds and alligators. The guide thinks we will probably be the only one out. The guide is not a professional guide but an avid fisherman who volunteered his time for the charity. I will certainly go by his recommendation but would like to be a little educated prior. He said to bring medium spinning tackle and he will rig me up. Just wondering if anybody have any tips, strategies, methods, species of fish we may encounter and any artificial lures & tackle rigs that work best this time of the year. Do I need any bug spray at this time of the year? I want to use my own tackle. He said tide is an issue as the water can get less than 1 foot deep at low tide. However he knows professional guides and goes by their recommendations. Sure it will work out fine but am exited and so information now would tame that.

Redbow

I don't know that area never been there but I do wish y'all good luck and stay safe.

Boondocks

Bug Spray and a Thermo Cell if you have one. You will be fishing the back country, 10,000 islands. Good fishing have fun.

cracker4112

Bug spray, for sure. The mosquitoes and noseums will be bad as they have had a ton of rain. Depending on where exactly you are fishing it’s bass, snook, reds, and small tarpon. May find trout, juvy jewfish, sharks, etc as well. 7-8’ spinning rod with a 3000-4000 class reel with 10-20 pound braid should catch them all…

Robust Redhorse

Not just small tarpon and Jewfish for sure!

In 2022 (April), we had a huge bull shark trying to catch a 50 pound tarpon near there.

Just as soon as the tarpon took the Baitbuster, a 300+ shark was all over it. The tarpon threw the lure and was able to live to see another day!

The biggest tarpon are there March - April, if the water is warm, they may be there now.

flconch53

It has been chilly down here this winter. The shallow water warms up 1st . There are some snook being caught up where I am.(Charlotte Harbor). Reds will also be active along with Mangrove Snapper if you want something for the frying pan

Lukikus2

Bug spray, for sure. The mosquitoes and noseums will be bad as they have had a ton of rain. Depending on where exactly you are fishing it’s bass, snook, reds, and small tarpon. May find trout, juvy jewfish, sharks, etc as well. 7-8’ spinning rod with a 3000-4000 class reel with 10-20 pound braid should catch them all…

X2

flatsmaster

I’d take a 4000 reel with 20 lb braid fishing tight to mangroves to tighten drag a bit … snook reds some juvy tarpon … great fishing down there … have fun

JR924

Got back from fishing trip. Got into the 70s. No bugs but I did wipe down good with bug spray. Went out in the Gulf about 1 hour from Naples and fished the edge of some mangroves???. We were in the Everglades National Park. I caught 3 about 12" long speckled trout and 3 lady fish??. The lady fish (if I got the name right) are oily, smelly and taste terrible. Threw all the fish back. The guide (who was a volunteer for the charity auction my family won for my Birthday) caught 4 speckled trout. We then went to a different location to fish for Red Fish but no bites. Used a realistic looking plastic shrimp lure and a pop bobber with light tackle. Wanted to beat rush hour so we only fished for about 4 hours. Saw an osprey, a flock of rare white pelicans, storks ect. Saw no dolphins, sharks or alligators. Beautiful day. I really enjoyed it. Definitely going back with my creek boat once I can figure the good places to fish near Naples. Went to a canal and fished from bank next day but no luck. Thank you for all the replies.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Got back from fishing trip. Got into the 70s. No bugs but I did wipe down good with bug spray. Went out in the Gulf about 1 hour from Naples and fished the edge of some mangroves???. We were in the Everglades National Park. I caught 3 about 12" long speckled trout and 3 lady fish??. The lady fish (if I got the name right) are oily, smelly and taste terrible. Threw all the fish back. The guide (who was a volunteer for the charity auction my family won for my Birthday) caught 4 speckled trout. We then went to a different location to fish for Red Fish but no bites. Used a realistic looking plastic shrimp lure and a pop bobber with light tackle. Wanted to beat rush hour so we only fished for about 4 hours. Saw an osprey, a flock of rare white pelicans, storks ect. Saw no dolphins, sharks or alligators. Beautiful day. I really enjoyed it. Definitely going back with my creek boat once I can figure the good places to fish near Naples. Went to a canal and fished from bank next day but no luck. Thank you for all the replies.
Fishing the Everglades is fun. I have caught about everything there is to catch there at one time or other. My favorite Everglades target is snook. Surprisingly I saw the largest school of bonefish I have ever seen inside the park out of Islamorada about 5 miles past the channel (the park's borders) but nowhere near where you were fishing.....I chase snook when over that way and redfish on negative tides.

Robust Redhorse

Put a ladyfish on a 6/0 circle hook and 3' for #80 mono, about 6' under a float with an outfit loaded with #30lb+ and just "hang-on!"

Something crazy will happen within 30 minutes down there!

Latest posts