Home addition cost

Big un

We are moving into the house that I was raised in as was my mother. My grandparent bought it in 1972 it was originally 3 bed 1 bath but they added on a bed and bath at the opposite end. The original house is on a slab but the addition is on a crawl space and is shorter thank the existing roof line. We want to remove the addition and replace it with on that is 30x30 that includes bedroom, bathroom and a laundry/mud room. I'm looking for a general estimate on cost. I know I'll need to get contractors out for exact pricing but I don't want to waste their time if I don't have near enough money saved to cover it. Any body that can offer some advice I'll try to post a pic of the house.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
depends on the location and local permits

I would bet it would be north of 100 grand

Big un

depends on the location and local permits

I would bet it would be north of 100 grand

We are in Jeff Davis county. Permits are required in the city but not county if I've been told correctly. Either way the permit in town is $200. I was not thinking anywhere near that I am glad I asked before I was embarrassed. Our current home is 1700 sq ft heated with a 2 car attached garage on an acre of land. It was built it 2002 and I bought it for $92,500 in 2009.

rospaw

Mother-in-law just finished (last week) a 20x25 add. Included large master bath (all tile with J tub), enlarged M bedroom, walk in closet, 4 windows, hardy on outside. Also moved the kitchen to another room, new roof, all on crawl. Smaller 35x45 60's house when started.
All and all she spent 56k..... 6k over budget. I thought she did very well for 56k with moving the kitchen to the other side of the house and roofing.
She did not up HVAC or up the elec panel. Very basic on the outside. Nice bath though.

Big un

I'll go with vinyl and may wait til the whole house is ready for a roof. The current addition already has plumbing and electrical and the location is close to where I will want them. I will use a mini split to cool it. I figured a tiled in shower and then just a big closet or two and a big bedroom. The laundry is not a necessity as it is already indoors just wanted to relocate.
Thank you for your feedback

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yep
More information needed
Brick siding?
Shingles or metal?
Etc. etc

naildrvr

I normally figure about $100/sq ft on additions as a starting point, but you have to remember that you are wanting to remove an existing addition so I would figure a little more to cover that. After I introduce that figure to the owners, I am happy to sit down and talk about everything that they want and then figure an exact price. Be sure that whoever you hire is licensed and insured and has a good reputation. I have seen too many people get burned by hiring some jackleg so-called carpenter.

Big un

Info

Vinyl siding and I'm planning to go with metal roofing as the house will need a new roof itself soon and I would just do it all then. Laminate or vinyl flooring as we have two kids and one is in a wheelchair. We will tile in a shower but nothing special other than that.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I think you'll be around $50-$60 per sq ft on an addition like this. Buy a decent laminate floor and use a good pad under it. Tile the bath floor if got your doing a wheelchair shower