DIY Blow in insulation

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Curious here. What would be the difference or benefit from sucking out the old and blowing in new ? Is the new stuff better than what as there ? I need to add some to mine also.
Having been in the old house restoration business I can tell you that some of the old insulation is of poor quality compared to today's standard. They used spun wool, fire retardant treated newspaper, and other products. Removing these which have settled and replacing with today's fiberglass will make a world of difference.

B. White

I had mine done last week. First insulation this house has seen in 150 yrs. I went up and cleaned up some old boxes, Christmas lights and wrapping paper, etc. Had old newspapers laying around with Lewis Grizzard writing a letter to Reagan in '81.

May have paid a more than DIY, but there were areas on the newest room additions I didn't think they could get to, but they had the equipment to make it work. Not much room to spray between slats and needed to reach a long way. I'm glad I paid somebody. It took me longer to clean up and get ready for them than it did for them to handle the insulation and it was hot and I was wore out after stooping over and going up and down steps carrying junk.

I can tell a difference over the last week. Pretty big swing in temperatures outside, but by bedtime the inside temp has stayed within a degree of what it was when I got up in the morning. With a couple of days with highs in the 80s and lows around 40 it has been very stable. It is also a whole lot quieter inside.