Infrared vs Standard Heater

SarahFair

We currently have the standard version of this, but last year it went bad.

I was looking around for a new one and this website has an infrared version, but Im not sure if standard (space type heater) vs infrared would work best for us.

The house is about 120 years old, there is insulation in the attic and in the crawlspace, I doubt there is any in the walls, the windows are original, but I put the window film over them every winter.

The room is about 15 x 15 with 11' ceilings and can be opened up into several rooms, but during winter we usually keep it closed off and rub the heater in there to make it the warmest room.

Do we want an infrared or standard heater in here?

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I would say it depends on your goals. Infrared heats things/surfaces including you. Other standard heaters generally heat the air in the room. Think of the big strip heaters in the ceiling above the service bay at a car repair shop or under an overhang at a hotel entrance. Often those are infrared.

If you want to feel warm when sitting or standing somewhere near the heat source, consider infrared, but it is also directional. If you want the whole room to feel warmer, then a standard heater with maybe a ceiling fan on low in reverse to stir the rising warm air back down towards the floor.

If you have access to propane, consider a blue flame heater. Fine's Gas in Fort Oglethorpe has pretty knowledgeable folks and decent prices. Blue flame heater is vent free, and will heat the air in a room however will need some fresh air and the propane combustion generates moisture as well. I would imagine a old house wouldn't have an issue with above.
Fines Gas Hearthrite blue flame heater

Last edited:

buckmanmike

I replaced regular blue flame with infrared 3 years ago at deer camp. Infrared works fine in the insulated cabin, but in the cookshack the blueflame worked better. Cookshack has insulation but has only storm windows for the windows. They leak air and very thin glass. I can't tell if one is more efficient than the other.