Insulating/venting ceiling. Experts or experiences?

kayaksteve

I finishing a 16’x32’ “upgraded” storage building for my dad to live in on our property. I got a pretty decent plan laid out and feel pretty good about all of it so far. I’m pretty handy but this is my first build of any kind to this extent. The roof will be 2x6 rafters with plywood sheathing and metal roofing. I want to leave the ceiling vaulted to make it feel bigger and cut back on material. Do I need to go vented or unvented? Baffles? The roofs aren’t built with much over hang on these buildings so I’m not sure about soffit vents. Ridge vents are an option from manufacturer. I’m just confused on if I have to vent or if I can seal everything. Any advice or experience appreciated.

F.A.R.R.

Ridge vent and soffit vents work to vent attic spaces. From what you were saying there won’t be any attic space, right ?

If that’s true you’d be like looking at putting up insulation in the space between the roof rafters

kayaksteve

Ridge vent and soffit vents work to vent attic spaces. From what you were saying there won’t be any attic space, right ?

If that’s true you’d be like looking at putting up insulation in the space between the roof rafters
Yes, There will be no attic space. If that will work. I just wasn’t sure if I still needed venting with baffles between the sheathing and insulation or if I could go no vents and insulation right against the sheathing.

kayaksteve

spray foam and be done with it
Thats obviously the best option and one I’ll look more into when its time to insulate but, my dad is retired with no income and we’re already stretching our budget to get this done so any options I have to save money that’s not going to cause major issues I’m trying to make work. Thanks for the input!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thats obviously the best option and one I’ll look more into when its time to insulate but, my dad is retired with no income and we’re already stretching our budget to get this done so any options I have to save money that’s not going to cause major issues I’m trying to make work. Thanks for the input!
This falls under the heading of "Pay me now, or pay me later"

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I'm a believer in spray foam. Went up into a friend's spray-foamed attic in Texas one afternoon last May. It was 90 degrees out. Attic was a pleasant 75 degrees.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I'm a believer in spray foam. Went up into a friend's spray-foamed attic in Texas one afternoon last May. It was 90 degrees out. Attic was a pleasant 75 degrees.
I am a supporter of foam insulation.The only negative is IF one has to replace electrical wiring installed in the wall cavity.

Artfuldodger

I think the reason that might be is because if the insulation is on the roof sheathing, then you attic become a partially air conditioned space.
My SIL had that done in their house. The company blocked off all the attic vents took out the insulation on top of the ceiling sheetrock, and sprayed foam all over the bottom of the roofs sheathing.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I would go vented with drilled vents on the eaves and roof vents.

I created a false attic in mine. 1
3/4' Vented space between roof and installation for airflow and cooling in summer.

Under roof is 3/4" air gap, 1/2 foam sheet, r10 2" foam, followed by r13,r19 bats.

Good luck

Attachments

• 20231230_185428.jpg
    20231230_185428.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230901-163955_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230901-163955_Gallery.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 22

GeorgiaGlockMan

Spray foam if you are running gas heat and a/c all the time or you will have mold/moisture issues.

Eta - fwiw - propane heat will leave the walls and windows wet on cold days.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I also drilled two 2" holes and installed a plastic round vent cover in the overhang every 24" frame gap on both sides of building.

I will install a temp controlled chicken coop solar fan in the boxed end of the porch overhang attic storage space sometime before it gets hot again and my hip surgery is healed to ladder worthy.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Mine is not grid connected so it is finished to optimize my situation....
Battery/solar/gen elect power, propane and diesel heaters and separate elec HVACs for cold air.

What a great thing you are doing for your pop!

Mine is a work in progress with my 20something son.

Attachments

• 20231112_143649.jpg
    20231112_143649.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 21