For all of you heavy lifters out there...

gunnurse

Please be careful with your backs. I was just released today from the hospital after having what will likely be a career ending back injury. I an an ER nurse. Having always been of the large frame type, I was always the one others would call for lift assists.

On November 9th, one of the EMS crews asked me to help lift a patient up on their ambulance cot. Something literally sounded and felt like it popped in my back. After I looked at the chart, I saw that the patient weighed 179.3 kg., which is about 385 lbs in addition to the cot weight. I ended up with an L-4 diskectomy and a multilevel laminectomy. I still have no feeling in either leg or feet.

Guys- if lifting assistance technology is available, please use it. Don't let your mind write a check that your back can't cash. In my case, the "only" electric raise assist ambulance cot in our small county was under another patient.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
GN prognosis? Hope you recover

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Man, hate to hear that. Wishing you a full recovery.

BeerThirty

That sucks. It's so crazy how one's back can just give. Similar thing happened to my brother about 4-wks ago. He was lifting a 40 lb case of food at his warehouse and pop, he fell to the ground like a pile of bricks. His friend had to come drive him to the ER and they actually hooked him up to morphine since he was in so much pain. Turns out all it was is a lower back muscle strain, but he was off of work for 2-wks straight and has been on light duty for the past 2-wks.

I hope you feel better

Hornet22

ROMEO
GN, I truly hate that for you. Happened to me October '15 toattin mama to her grave. Thought I was gonna puke. Still stretchin out, will have to have it fixed shortly.:cheers:

cramer

Sorry to hear that GN
I do not wish back problems on any person.
I do hope you get back to normal.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Sad news. I hope you make a recovery from this that will allow you to do what you want to do. Back injuries can be debilitating. Keep us posted on how you are doing and whether we can help.

BriarPatch99

Hope you make full recovery.... Living with a Wife that has had the same surgery ... Plus eight more back surgeries ... I have a really good idea of what you are dealing with ...

Again you are the only one that can take care of yourself ... I always heard that nurses are the worse patients ... Your turn !!!

ditchdoc24

So sorry to hear this. I worked 20 years in EMS before moving to LE and I consider myself lucky to not have any serious back injuries. I have several friends in EMS who suffered catastrophic back injuries and were 100% disabled because of them. Think about getting your BSN if you haven't already and going into Nursing Education or Management. My wife is a former ER nurse who went back and got her BSN. She got promoted at work almost immediately and then did her MSN. Now she's getting ready to go back for a MBA in Healthcare Administration. There are avenues out there for you even if you can't work in a clinical area any more.

Havana Dude

Lift with your legs,,,, hope you feel better,,,,

Of course, but lifting stretchers is a whole other ball game. I did it form29 years at the FD, assisting EMS. Already had surgery on L4-L5, decompression. Will need either side worked on eventually. They said it wasn’t job related.

Hope you make a quick recovery.

Capt Quirk

I feel for ya. My wife is an RN, and I hear the tales. Patients just keep getting bigger. They have special beds for these fatties, will lift and weigh up to 500lbs. She has mentioned a few times, where they "were gonna need a bigger boat" so to speak.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Sorry to hear it GN. I live with back problems too. In my case it is my upper back/neck that is the problem. Couple of car accidents in my younger days. Fortunately I am able to manage with chiropractic care and it doesn't really limit me

3ringer

Get well soon and a speedy recovery. Any heavy lifting here , I get the wife to do it.