Boat drain question?

Riplukelee

So I have a quick question. 2000 Seahunt escape 175 ... brass 1/2"? Drain bottom of the transom ... problem is that you have to screw the drain plug in so far that you can barely get a pair of pliers or a wrench or anything else on it to tighten it or loosen it. I've noticed this on several other boats with this same style of plug. With use the plug screws in farther and farther until is way down in there. If you don't tighten it all the way in ... it takes in a lot more water than normal. Tips? Tricks? Advice?

roperdoc

Sounds like the threads are worn or made out of spec. Maybe try one of the plastic plugs, they seem slightly tighter in my boat and seal well. They are cheap enough to replace yearly (3-4 bucks).
I usually keep an extra or two in the boat. Rector seal soft set thread sealant may help also.
Your other option may be to have a machinist turn a slightly larger plug or one with a slight shoulder, or cap a short nipple for use as a plug.

WayneB

the garboard plug has tapered threads, sounds as if your plug has straight threads or has worn the taper off.
probably faster/ easier to replace the housing and plug together as a unit, rather than hoping you score a good fitting tapered plug to match your housing. A quick amazon search shows prices from $6 to $30.

Riplukelee

Yeah. I was trying to get away without removing the fitting from the fiberglass. I know it's just three screws but I didn't wanna mess with it. Looks like I don't have much choice.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Pull it and replace it.

WayneB

I've used either 5 minute or 15 minute epoxy to bed and seal the new fitting to the hull. a couple minutes with a heat gun softens the epoxy enough to pull off, a wipedown with isopropyl achohol (rubbing alchohol) and bed the new one in.
JB weld works the same way, it takes a little more heat to de-bond.
End results; it seals completely and any intrusion will be through the plug and bore, which you can cure with pipe dope or tape.

capt stan

You need to change it out. Simple process bro. DONT get some plastic crap. Get the real deal.. remove the old one..clean area up sand it down use 5200 as a sealer when you replace the new one. Good to go. 30 min job at the most . Let it cure/ set for at least 24 hours before use.

boatbuilder

Yeah. I was trying to get away without removing the fitting from the fiberglass. I know it's just three screws but I didn't wanna mess with it. Looks like I don't have much choice.

Try a new plug first. You might not have to replace the fitting.

The fitting should be Bronze a harder metal with a softer brass plug.

If you still need to replace the fitting it's still a good idea to have a spare plug in the boat anyway

Riplukelee

Tried a new plug. Same result. It's not going in any further so I'll order the new fitting and replace it. Right now I'm beefing up the backing plate for the bow eye/u-bolt. It was loose and makes me very uncomfortable when the boat is being lifted in or out.

Steve762us

I've had several years good luck on sealing several below-the-waterline thru-hulls with polyurethane sealant, from Lowes caulk & sealant aisle. Stays rubbery, grips like the dickens, but can be 'undone' if needed.

5200 is the usual go-to answer, but dang, if properly applied and you EVER need to go back and take off whatever you used it on, expect to cause additional damage in addition to whatever you were trying to fix in the first place.

BDD

My brass plus has about a 3 inch “ T “ with the threaded plug on the end, you can tighten it
My hand and remove it by hand. You might be able to find one like that.

mose

I would use the 4200. It will give you a a good seal and you can remove it down the road if needed.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
My brass plus has about a 3 inch “ T “ with the threaded plug on the end, you can tighten it
My hand and remove it by hand. You might be able to find one like that.

I would only use a threaded plug for the main drain. Too much risk for a compression fitting plug to fail and your boat sinks. Those t-plugs are good for livewells.